Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheapest way to make a performance VT

uriah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex-Police
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a VT Series 2 3.8l or 5.7l and I was just wondering what are the cheapest upgrades could you make to either of these, to raise it to the performance of a Nissan R33.

Which would mean a power to weight ratio of 7.34 kw per kg (The R33 has 1367kg and 186kw).

And increasing the handling substancially.

Just wondering what configuration of upgrades I could make to either of these to attain these performance levels, and which would be the cheapest?

Thanks.

uriah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex-Police
Oh it can definitly give it a run for it's money, but it doesn't have that feel of ridiculously scary instantaneous acceleration. My friends R33 although modified, off the line really pulls you back into the seats, more than the stock 3.8l and 5.7l's of other friends. I just want to achieve that similar acceleration and handling.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
yeah my previous was pretty crap lol...just had to support holden...what sort of budget are you looking at?
we found that the PWR chip we got for our Adventra 5.7 was awesome, more power and somehow now it seems to not use any petrol...well thats an over exaggeration...the chips are usually exchanged and like 1k...

theres plenty of small mods, like chip, full exhaust, CAI, not sure about cams etc (though cam and chip is good for 3.8)

or u have bigger mods like supercharger and what not...

but yeah really depends what u want to do?

uriah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex-Police
I have bigger mods in mind, like turbo(s) and supercharger(s).

I could get a 5.7l SS for 14 and that would be almost there, and with some little mods could get it there.

Or I could get a 3.8l Exec for 7 and get some bigger mods, which would raise the price, but might beat the SS on power to weight and for less.

I'm trying to weigh these against each other. I could buy a 3.8l Exec out right, and make changes almost straight away. Or I could get a SS on finance and make the changes once i've paid it off.

The budget doesn't matter that much, it's more the individual components price and increase in performance, since they will all be gotten incrementally over a year or so.

desruction

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
If you want it to go like a r33 go get a bloddy r33

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
they reckon that a stroker kit for 3.8 is the way to go, though it can get expensive, 2300 for basic components, then u have to get machining done and probly ugrade the fuel system...but then while your in the engine u can do up the internals and prepare for turbo, supercharger whatever.

uriah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex-Police
I want a cheaper car, an australian car, and most important of all, I don't fit in a r33. I am 2meters tall, the VT is the most comfortable car i've ever sat in, I put the seat all the way back and it was perfect. The R33 however, I can't drive. I physically can't do it.

uriah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex-Police
big_stretch said:
they reckon that a stroker kit for 3.8 is the way to go, though it can get expensive, 2300 for basic components, then u have to get machining done and probly ugrade the fuel system...but then while your in the engine u can do up the internals and prepare for turbo, supercharger whatever.

Well if I can get a VT 3.8 Exec for 7, and a VT 5.7 SS for 14, that gives the Exec a 7k head start to get the 3.8 upto the 5.7's standards and maybe exceed them?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
A VT6 with 7 grand spent on it would be a beast..

But I'd rather pick up a cheap GenIII for about 11 grand and spend a few grand on it.. You'll be driving a monster..