Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check brake light - Turn off

Shylowh99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Holden Commodore 3.6L
I've recently installed after market LED tail lights to my VF SV6. They work fine however the "check the brake lights" message keeps coming up on every start up. No codes show up in scanner.

After market lights are the black LED lights which have RED ] [ shaped light with the led

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd say the lights need a resistor.

Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I've recently installed after market LED tail lights to my VF SV6. They work fine however the "check the brake lights" message keeps coming up on every start up. No codes show up in scanner.

After market lights are the black LED lights which have RED ] [ shaped light with the led

the bulbs you used do not put enough load on the system so the error message will continue to show.
you need to use leds that are listed "error free" or "canbus compatible" and not all of them are the same, some will work fine in some vehicles while not in other vehicles.

it is best to ask forum members what brand they used in their vf and also after installing make sure you check that the park/brake functions work and also check that they do not illuminate while off(no park or brake).

Shylowh99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Holden Commodore 3.6L
the bulbs you used do not put enough load on the system so the error message will continue to show.
you need to use leds that are listed "error free" or "canbus compatible" and not all of them are the same, some will work fine in some vehicles while not in other vehicles.

it is best to ask forum members what brand they used in their vf and also after installing make sure you check that the park/brake functions work and also check that they do not illuminate while off(no park or brake).

I've just heard I need canbus resistor to off set the difference the LEDS put out

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Would I be correct in thinking that if you fit the resistor....the system wont be able to detect when you actually have a brake light failure as the resistance will not drop enough , if at all , if the leds fail ? Im thinking a canbus compatible probably ups the led resistance to match the bulb rating but it wont be able to register a failed led unit and zero off its resistance enough for the car to detect or does it? "Reason I pulled you over buddy is because you have a tail light out?....this is what I like about the bulb out warning my Holden shows....it gives them 1 less reason to pull you over...because you know instantly if a bulbs blown...and can sort it asap... lol

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would I be correct in thinking that if you fit the resistor....the system wont be able to detect when you actually have a brake light failure as the resistance will not drop enough , if at all , if the leds fail ? Im thinking a canbus compatible probably ups the led resistance to match the bulb rating but it wont be able to register a failed led unit and zero off its resistance enough for the car to detect or does it? "Reason I pulled you over buddy is because you have a tail light out?....this is what I like about the bulb out warning my Holden shows....it gives them 1 less reason to pull you over...because you know instantly if a bulbs blown...and can sort it asap... lol

gonna go out on a limb here and say people don't care as much about a light that tells them another light isn't working as you might think.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

if you manually do a dodgy resistor install then yes it can have that effect.
if you use a decent led bulb that has been setup to drop the resistance if the led chip pulls no current then no you will still get the message.
there are a few ways to build that type of circuit and just smashing a resistor on the line is the most dodgy and cheapest way to achieve it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you manually do a dodgy resistor install then yes it can have that effect.
if you use a decent led bulb that has been setup to drop the resistance if the led chip pulls no current then no you will still get the message.
there are a few ways to build that type of circuit and just smashing a resistor on the line is the most dodgy and cheapest way to achieve it.

judging by the OP, my guess is cheap china ebay tail lights won't have anything remotely like a decent resistor setup - thus the issues he's having now.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
gonna go out on a limb here and say people don't care as much about a light that tells them another light isn't working as you might think.

The warning is only for the stop/tail anyway. I’ve had a tail in the boot lid and numberplate out. Neither told me on the dash. Just found out the good old way of looking in the mirror when I’m parked in front of a shops windows.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
The warning is only for the stop/tail anyway. I’ve had a tail in the boot lid and numberplate out. Neither told me on the dash. Just found out the good old way of looking in the mirror when I’m parked in front of a shops windows.
My VX 'bulb out dash warning' lights up when a number plate light or garnish light is out is out, pretty sure it detects the headlights and foglights as well ... Does anyone know if it detects indicator bulbs as well?