Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"check drivetrain" WTF

Jasta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
hey all
Just changed the wheels on my 05 vz exec to 18s running 235/40/18 felt strange at first but getting used to it. But now i have on my dash "check drivetrain".:hmmm:

Could it be the change over of the rim tyre combo? Hans anyone come up with this after a change?

Or

Any info would be great.:idea3:

there is no change in power or any noise from the auto, all fluids are spot on.

Thankshttp://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jasta

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
im assuming if its the icon im thinking of, it can relate to a number of things, anything from engine management to oxy sensors, best to get it checked out mate, its illuminated for a reason lol

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
not any expert on this, but legally, you can only change the diameter of the TYRE by +/- 20 mm i think it is..is there a chance that with the new wheels you have gone over the 20 mm difference...could this result in your traction control/ABS and any other electronics involved to pick up different wheel speeds due to a bigger circumference...so for every rotation of the wheel it's actually getting more distance becasue of the circumference difference between the original and new tyres...seeing as though all 4 wheels would be getting the same amount of travel, instead of saying ABS fault, or Low Traction, it could just be telling you to check the drivetrain...

what you can also try...where the tech2 connector is under the steering wheel kick panel, the top row of terminals in this electrical connecter, get a paperclip and bridge terminals 5 and 6..working from left to right of course...do this while the engine is running..on ur dash it will start to show up things like service vehicle soon, abs fault, low traction, low fuel etc...once you start to see the same messages and displays come up, take the paperclip out and see if it brings up a Diagnostic Trouble Code...if so, look it up or post it back on here and i'll help you out with it...it's also normal when you do this, if the engine idles a bit weird or rough..when it's done and you've taken the paperclip out, let the engine idle for a 10-20 seconds..turn the car completely off...turn the car on to accessories and let the system do it's check...if it says ok, it's ok, start the engine and let it idle for a minute or so...if it's not..the check drivetrain message or a DTC may come up..not too sure

cheers mate

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the paperclip method has known to fail on VZ's

I'd be getting it checked, as mentioned that warning can be anything from a failed oxy sensor (which is usually the case) to major driveline failure, although ironically when I stuffed my gearbox and it only had 2nd and 4th gear it didnt flick up once!!

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
oh really? that sucks with the paperclip thing...ahh well..**** happens

Jasta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks for the info and you offer for help. i just went up the road for the milk and its ok. NOW HERES THE THING...... i had LPG put on 2 weeks ago and the warning is " Powertrain" on start system is "OK" then after 20 or so seconds the Powertrain comes on....lpg related??????????

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
could be.

One of my mates had it come on for a stupid issue, it was so trivial I can't even remember what it was now! Thus why its best just to bight the bullet and have someone check it with tech 2 to confirm what's setting the warning off, and going from there.

J@m3$

Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VZ SVZ Ute
i just had my ute in at holden this morning had the same problem it was the coil pack on the 4th cylinder maybe this will help... does the car kind of miss fire when the fault comes up?

Jasta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
"Check Drivetrain" WTF Problem Solved!

thanks to all who had a say in helping with the problem.

It was the "Powertrain" that was the warming. to rectify the hitch i took the commy down the the dealer and was charged $121.00 to run a test. Nice. it was a fault with the gas i had installed not so long ago as the gas computer thingy needed resetting, all good now and running smooth.

thanks again

Jasta