Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Code p0008

Nitrosv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Hi all, code p0008 has come up and as I understand it has something to do with the timing chain, rang local dealer and they informed me that Ill be up for a new timing chain plus costs,($2700) I was thinking that they might be able to remove the check engine warning by a software download, ie: change the perameter on the sensor as a cheaper option then forking out that kind of $$$, is this possible as the car is running fine with no noticeble problems, just a thought, please let me know if you can help, car is 2007 build (my08) thanks in advance.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I see your in Vic. Trying ringing up Booran Holden in Cheltneham, they asked for $2400 for parts and labour. If you provide the chains then they do it for $1200 they told me 2 months ago. Prices might have changed since then. On ebay the chains are going for like $65 per chain.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i got my timing chain done at peerless auto in commercial drive lynbrook for $1700 and thats supplied and fitted and he also supplied a car for me at no cost while mine was being done. when my timing chain went i did lose power you could easly notice it. the power loss.. make sure it is p0008 code ask to see it on the tech 2 unit there using. if u have not lost any power it might not be the timing chain at all. most mech will charge u about $50 to check it for you. peerless is about $50 to check it make sure u want to see the code before they clear it. fletch is the owner ask for him.

Nitrosv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Re Timing Chain

Thanks for the quick response guys, guess ill have to fork out the cash for holdens problem, untill I can come up with the $$$ was wondering if its wise to keep on driving car without damaging the engine as there are no noticeable problems I can see, just a thought...

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
do the right thing. pop to fletch at peerless auto pay the $50 get the code. make sure 100% on what the code is.. we all on here can easly help you with what it is.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Try the software fix first, if that doesn't work then it's new chains time.

Some cars are fine after the software, come aren't.

Cross your fingers.

Revised calibrations are now available for all MY07 and MY08 VE and WM
vehicles (excluding BRL) as well as MY10 & MY11 with LLT engines only.

Nitrosv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Local dealer told me software is only done after new chains have been installed, wont do it before, just thinking they want me to spend the $$$. Rang holden customer service, said they will investigate the issue and get back to me, not holding my breath, by the way, car was built on the same day they changed over to the newer chains, just missed out by "that much". Want to try the software update but where to get it done, how much? Thanks to all who replied, nice to know there are people out there who give a damm, awesome site ,thanks again.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Software shouldn't cost a cent. Any decent dealer will do the update to see if it solves the issue first and if that fails do the chains. If dealer A refuses to do the update go to a different one. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you.