Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine display?

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
Hey guys I have a vy series 2 ute and I the check engine picture keeps coming up on my dash. I have done oil change, trans oil, coolant, thermostat, heater tap and it still comes up. I have been told that oxygen sensors may be the problem but I'm not sure and the picture is an engine with a lightning bolt in it. Does this mean its electrical?

Any help is appreciated.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I am sure someone that knows will come along soon. In the meantime my 2¢ - my understanding is that the light needs to be reset by a tech2 device - after error codes have been read (and hopefully problems resolved).

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
Thanks Fletch! this is what comes up if anyone knows...
photo10.jpg

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hey guys I have a vy series 2 ute and I the check engine picture keeps coming up on my dash. I have done oil change, trans oil, coolant, thermostat, heater tap and it still comes up. I have been told that oxygen sensors may be the problem but I'm not sure and the picture is an engine with a lightning bolt in it. Does this mean its electrical?

Any help is appreciated.

It means that someting in the entire drive train is at fault... common problems are the O2 sensors as mentioned but also the Oil Pressure switch/sensor.

Having said the above... You really need a tech2 hooked up to be able to tell what the issues are/is before going and doing anything as it would be just a waste of money and time.

Good luck. :D

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
UTEADDICT, is your engine a gẻn 3 or ecotec? The check engine light does go away by itself with some intermittant issues but will still store a reference of the code in the bcm. If yours is constantly there it will most likely need to be cleared by a DST. Most mechanics have them or if you really want to get reamed you can go to holden. Either way, request a print out of the DTCs and that can give an indication that may allow you to DIY.

Shouldn't be a big deal

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
Thanks guys will go see my mechanic and get parts through work. It's an Ecotec engine and the check engine symbol stays as pictured until i press the mode button. It shifts to the side then disappears after a minute or so.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Had the same problem with my VYSS a couple months ago tunred out mine was a oil presure sensor

adammada

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
i have had the same problem with my VY.I drove through some high water about a year ago and the check engine alarm came on.Now the check engine alarm comes on when I am idling for more than two minutes and then goes away.I have had the o2 sensor changed.I have taken it back to mechanic and they tell me they have reset it and to bring it back if it happens again.I seem to be going round in a circle with this mechanic.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Your mechanic should just check it with a scan tool and see immediately what's causing the fault. Go somewhere else.

I also had a similar issue with my SS months ago. It was a the oil pressure swtich. Prick of a job to do lol.

sir blackamus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
my vy executive has same problem. comes up after driving for about 5-10 minutes at 60kmh. gonna get it checked out by a mechanic this week. is a o2 or oil sensor cheap to fix?