Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Light after Hi-Flow cats - fix?

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Hey guys,

As I was warned, I have the check engine light after installing my aftermarket cats.
I've been told its because the O2 sensors (I believe the post cat ones) are picking up more emissions due to the new cats (apparently common after replacing with hi flows)
I know a dyno tune is a fix, but I have 2 questions:

1. Is there an easier way to stop this rather than a dyno tune? I've seen the spark plug defouler trick used on some euro cars, could this work/will it fit for a WL?
2. If a dyno tune is a must, how much am I looking at for simply reprogramming the ECU to not whinge about emissions?

Please no 'why hi flows/extractors/tune in a V6' or anything related to V6 bashing because it really does not help.

Thanks guys

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Hi-Flo cats may be illegal to install on a road going vehicle. No further comment(s).

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
As is modifying a V6 on your Ps. Did it anyway.

For the record, these are Euro III compliant.

Valuable input please.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
As is modifying a V6 on your Ps. Did it anyway.

For the record, these are Euro III compliant.

Valuable input please.

Anyone with Tech2 can clear the code. No Dyno tune is needed. Holden will charge anywhere from $50-$100 just to clear the code.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
you could clear it that way but you need to adjust tune/setup so it does not come back

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
@MYVESSV8
Exactly my point! I couldn't give a rat crap about who can clear it, my local mechanic offered to clear it for free, issue is it'll come back.

Anyone here had any positive experience with the spark plug non-fouler trick?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
@MYVESSV8
Exactly my point! I couldn't give a rat crap about who can clear it, my local mechanic offered to clear it for free, issue is it'll come back.

Anyone here had any positive experience with the spark plug non-fouler trick?

Mine never came back. Enjoy

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
You have a V8 though yes?
I have a 190kW V6, I have 4 O2 sensors, not 2

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Ok, So I'm about to replace both of my rattly cats on my VZ V6 wagon. I'm not planning on keeping the car longer than 12 months, so I didn't want to spend the thousand dollars to replace the cats with new standard ones and was considering just getting cheap hi flow cats installed for less than $500. Now, the question is, Am I also going to get the "check engine" warning light coming on? If so, does anyone have any better solutions?

I can see why people are happy enough to punch the cats out when it is such a huge cost to replace the cats with originals, given what the whole car is now worth.

Hey guys,

As I was warned, I have the check engine light after installing my aftermarket cats.
I've been told its because the O2 sensors (I believe the post cat ones) are picking up more emissions due to the new cats (apparently common after replacing with hi flows)
I know a dyno tune is a fix, but I have 2 questions:

1. Is there an easier way to stop this rather than a dyno tune? I've seen the spark plug defouler trick used on some euro cars, could this work/will it fit for a WL?
2. If a dyno tune is a must, how much am I looking at for simply reprogramming the ECU to not whinge about emissions?

Please no 'why hi flows/extractors/tune in a V6' or anything related to V6 bashing because it really does not help.

Thanks guys