Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light but, no codes?

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
Looking at buying a vz Ute this week but the bloke said its got a check engine light yet no codes are showing. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if it's possibly something major? Tia

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
no codes according to whom?

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
The person selling. Seemed a little odd to me that's why I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Only thing I could possibly think is the codes have been cleared and will show up again when it's being driven.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The person selling. Seemed a little odd to me that's why I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Only thing I could possibly think is the codes have been cleared and will show up again when it's being driven.

probably NFI or lying. There should be some code logged if engine light. Sounds a bit suss, or maybe clueless.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
how many ks v8 0r 6, I would scan it, then run a mile, hows the engine sound, if a 6 cam chains maybe due ,if it sounds rattly, there is a post somewhere here,
that tells you if your car maybe affected, have to check numbers ect, mine is on the list, but at 230,000 still going but a bit rattly on start up ,ill wait till the dredded p0008 code comes up, also check the log book, if it has one, check the trans oil and engine oil

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
if it has engine light on a scanner will pick it

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
That was my thoughts as well, never heard of the engine light being on and not showing a code after being scanned unless it could just be a cheap Chinese scanner that isn't reading properly.

Its a 6 with 200ks on the engine, haven't seen it in person yet but going to check it out later this week and will get a better idea about whether or not to buy it

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
if your going to get a scanner go on ebay