Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine light on dash & air con stopped going cold

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
I recently replaced evaporator for aircon, replaced radiator cap been all checked my mechanic he said vehicle all good. Air con came good 4 awhile after radiator cap changed, but now air con not cold no more and all of sudden check engine light on dash.

? Can a failing battery be 1 of many causes that can cause the Check Engine Light to come on too? I've been noticing some small things about the way the car acts concerning I think the battery, not entirely sure.

Last edited:

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Check the fault codes

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have already checked them a couple of times over the weeks gone by, all clear by mechanic and by my brother inlaws code reader. Went and got alternator and battery check today (Supercheap Auto) This was the reading it gave below. Battery Test Says low capacity, Starter Test says normal and Charging test says High. Im thinking of buying a battery???

Results: Midtronics
BATTERY TEST:
LOW CAPACITY > NO FAULT > REF CHART
VOLTS: 12, 30V
MEASURED: 332CCA
RATING: 600CCA
BAT.TYPE - REGULAR
BAT. Location - IN VEHICLE
.....…...................................................
STARTER TEST
NORMAL

VOLTS - 9,88V
CHARGING TEST
HIGH

VOLTS - 15.14V

It's been recommended a bigger battery then what's specified for my vehicle. 2008 VE Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan.???
Recommends other than what's specified : Century 640CCA 68MF
Over what's suitable for my vehicle
Century 500CCA 53LH MF, is it ok to put a higher voltage battery in then recommended for my vehicle, is this OK to do?

= by the way my car has no problems starting at all, starts perfectly fine.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Can a failing battery be 1 of many causes that can cause the Check Engine Light to come on too?
Yes. Dying batteries can cause the computer to do weird things, replace the battery and see how that goes.

Recommends other than what's specified : Century 640CCA 68MF
Over what's suitable for my vehicle
Century 500CCA 53LH MF
You are meant to have a 640CCA in your SV6, that is what I have been told by my local Holden dealership.

is it ok to put a higher voltage battery in then recommended for my vehicle, is this OK to do?
The higher the CCA does not mean the higher the voltage. CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Generally speaking, it is easier to start an engine in a warm environment than in a cold one. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at -17c for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes. Dying batteries can cause the computer to do weird things, replace the battery and see how that goes.

You are meant to have a 640CCA in your SV6, that is what I have been told by my local Holden dealership.

The higher the CCA does not mean the higher the voltage. CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Generally speaking, it is easier to start an engine in a warm environment than in a cold one. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at -17c for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.
Thanks for your advice on the Battery. I just wanted to double check what others thought before I went ahead and bought the 640CCA. What I have in there now 500 is about to die on me. I will change the battery today and see how I go. Now the Auto part shop can put my battery in for me for a fee, so I want to put it in myself to save myself the fee. Sounds stupid but It'll be my first time to replace a battery. So are there steps i need to follow on removing the old one and installing the new...etc.....negative terminal first or positive terminal first??? And considering being a VE???

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
ve are a little tricky gaining access to
if you dont use a memory minder you will probably have to reset clock/radio stations
on most cars, remove negative cable first when removing
refit positive cable first when refitting

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes you can put the 640CCA battery in it no problem. I'm pretty sure that is the standard battery for V8 models. It will start your V6 like a true champion ;)

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Have already checked them a couple of times over the weeks gone by, all clear by mechanic and by my brother inlaws code reader.
Battery issue aside for now, do you know what the DTC (fault codes) were?

Yes no issues with a higher CCA battery....I have a battery with 810CCA in my WM.

20191103_085533.jpg

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

CCA is not just cold cranking amps it also goes hand in hand with reserve capacity and amp hours. Increase the CCA and you gain RC and AH. It's not linear but most common sized batteries are close to in the 5 to 7 plate designs.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Making sure...As previously said, I've been told the Century 640CCA 68MF? < Stick to it? Because I found they sell a 67EFMF? What's the difference, is there much?

Century 640CCA 68MF
Century 640CCA 67EFMF