Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check engine light on dash

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I have a 2009 VE ute and the check engine light comes at random....it has 96000Kms on the clock....the engine has never been touched except for the 8000Km/6months oil change....the motor purrs like a kitten....I have disconnected the battery to reset the electrons but to no avail....the timing change has no undue noises etc.....could it need new spark plugs?....maybe I might get the NRMA to put a diagnostic tool to see if it brings up a code.....they would be more factual than an ordinary mechanic who would tell me I need a new engine.
Any thoughts appreciated.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Yeah we would need the diagnostic trouble codes to be able to offer any further assistance.

Either get NRMA out or buy yourself a simple Bluetooth code reader which you can connect to via your mobile phone and an appropriate app.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah we would need the diagnostic trouble codes to be able to offer any further assistance.

Either get NRMA out or buy yourself a simple Bluetooth code reader which you can connect to via your mobile phone and an appropriate app.

Thanks for the heads up.....NRMA came to my home and put diagnostic monitor and it came up with code PO521 which relates to engine oil pressure
sensor switch...….I think I know where the switch is under the side of the motor.....I will put it up on the ramps....and change the switch.....it also relates to the wiring loom that is attached to the sensor switch....do you know if it is an easy job??????

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
from memory you need a deep socket to change sensor
very common on alloytec and must add, also on ecotec

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think its 24mm deep socket,
Just make sure you please a skim of gasket cement on the thread, that will stop it from leaking.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think its 24mm deep socket,
Just make sure you please a skim of gasket cement on the thread, that will stop it from leaking.

Hi all.
first of all my vehicle is a 2009 VE SV6 Ute Alloytec ( High Output ) Motor.....This Ute is a March 2008 Rego. but was built to 2009 specifications with the silver strips along the dash....I bought it brand new....
Went to repco and bought oil sensor switch for $40....upon pulling the connector off the existing switch....I found it was a 3pin connector not a 2pin connector ....so back to repco for a refund.....bought a 3pin connector.....wait for it $96.....repco told me it would be a 2pin plug as they sold heaps of these 2pin plugs....so the moral of the story is these 2009 VE SV6 Ute Alloytec ( High Output ) Motors models have a 3pin plug.
Now.....How do you remove the top section of the bottom of the air cleaner underneath the + positive connector marked in red....I have got the nut off but portion of the tag on the air cleaner is underneath the + positive connector.....I was going to use a ring spanner for easy access to the switch....failing all this it looks like I will have to use a 27mm long socket.
Somebody said they removed the air cleaner box but with the top end portion under the + terminal.....I would like to know how??????

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes, remove the 10mm nut near the positive terminal, move it aside and lift the bottom of the air box out,
Keeping in mind, there are 2 other bolts holding it in place with rubber bushes.

That's what I had to do to replace a friends Alternator on a 2009 L76 Calais for more room to work on it.