Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light: system lean

Migga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
So I'm driving one day minding my own and the engine light comes on. I get the code read and it says system lean. No further info. Car drives fine. Using regular unleaded. Get the same error when using E10. Anyone had this problem? Mines a 2006 ve omega 190ks. My mechanic suggested running a few bottles of injecter cleaner through it.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Got the exact code? Sounds like your mechanic has no idea.

Migga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
He said he didn't record the code but the message was : system lean bank 1 bank 2. He suggested it could be the fuel pump on its way out or dirty injectors. Im going to get a scanner of eBay for next time. I also have an issue with the car being hard to start once the fuel tanks been filled up. Could the two be related, I wonder?

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hey there.

Bank 1 bank 2 sounds like o2 sensors to me. Your mechanic is either very hopeless or more likely isnt giving you much hint of the problem probably hoping he can pick up the work himself. The 2 could be related very strange though could be a fuel pressure problem if its hard to start after filling. Judging by then code bank 1 bank 2 my best guess would be cactus o2 sensors which can make the car run either lean or rich.