Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light ?

MattSV6VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Red VE SV6
Hey guys my 2010 VE ute is just about ready for its 45K service, today i was driving and out of no where the check engine light came on , no abs fault etc came up on the screen just check engine , i topped the car up with coolant that was a bit low and checked the oil out, the lights still on and dont know what it could be, the battery is still ticking over well im not sure what it could be, can any one help asap??,
also another thing some times it seems like when i open the car door when the keys are out of the ignition the music/radio keeps playing ? it has only jkust recently happened but im not sure the reason why ?? it use to turn off??

thanks just hope to hear from some one soon, im not gonan lie im pretty devo and cut about the cheek engine light haha

rowedogg

Reaction score
Website
www.spacedesert.com.au
Members Ride
06 WM Caprice
Same happened to me today, due for 90K service and check engine light came on. I think its programmed to do that so you go for the service....

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
Does the engine run ok? That light is not designed to come on for services.. the service reminder comes on the main display 1,000km before the service is due.
It means one of the many sensors in the engine bay has detected a problem.. could be anything from air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, oxygen sensor, immobiliser or others.. but in most instances it's 'emission' related (fuel/air/exhaust systems) and if the engine runs fine it's probably something small but something you'll only find out by getting a mechanic to check for fault codes.

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
There is a switch in drivers door lock assembly. When that switch plays up the car stereo doesn't recognise that the door has been opened. Common prob

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
Rowedogg whats the scanner your using i have a 07 SV6 would like to be able to check and diagnose any problems. myself too... to many mech tell u its something when its not the fault at all. friend got his vesv6 checked for fault. was the timing belt.. this mech told him. bad news mate. u need a complete new engine. ur fault is to major to fix replace the entire engine. lucky he talked to me and i sent him to my mech. cost him $1500 get timing belts done and that also included a loan car while his car is off the road.

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
New engine because the timing chain is stretched.....WOW....what a mechanic....the code comes on because the cam/crank phasing is out of spec.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
He should probably get the timing belts removed and the chains put back on, just sayin.

WallyBasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I just had the check engine light Coe on in mine yesterday, thankfully had an obdii reader, it was just o2 sensor error. I can reset it with the software I have, so did that then reran the diag mode, and there they were, errors gone and not returned since, and did a fair amount of driving today.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
So what reader have you got?
I just had the check engine light Coe on in mine yesterday, thankfully had an obdii reader, it was just o2 sensor error. I can reset it with the software I have, so did that then reran the diag mode, and there they were, errors gone and not returned since, and did a fair amount of driving today.