Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine light

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Hi,
I have a 03 VY S1 Auto SS Sedan. This week i got the following done by my mechanic:
New rear rotors & pads front and back
New Fuel pump & sender unit
Replaced rear main seal (gearbox came out)
Replace spark plugs & leads

I received my car back two days later running like a dream and starting perfect. Two days later...

I was leaving work and the car began to jerk and seemed to be choking. I drove it straight to the mechanics and as i indicated the car stalled so i left it there for the night. I met him in the morning and it was still choking, as the fuel light had just come on, we filled the tank than took it for a drive. The car ran perfect again, apart from a check engine light sounding and the car taking a long time to kick over. A bottle of nulon complete fuel system cleaner was dumped in the tank assuming that i had received bad fuel or sucked up not so good fuel from the bottom of the tank. My battery terminals were cleaned and tightened, Resulting in no check engine light for the day. The following day i was driving and my aftermarket cd player reset then the check engine light went on. I returned to the mechanic and told him the light came back and it was still taking a long time to start. Once again he used his scantool to search for codes, once again there was no codes stored, even with the light on the dash. Now the light comes on randomly and sometimes disappears (resolves the issue i believe)

I am ordering a new starter motor today and the car is going back on the hoist tomorrow to check the gearbox wiring as it was unplugged for rearmain

Engine, gearbox and diff were serviced 6MTHS ago and O2 sensors were replaced (werent throwing code, high consumption)

Does anyone have any other ideas, its a intermittent issue and im getting the sh!ts after spending $1000 this week on it

Thanks
Will

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Just an update.

I had the starter motor replaced and rocker cover seals replaced. Still taking a long time to kick over however...

Since my last post i have worked out that the car is choking because the fuel tank is empty. I assume the check engine light is coming on for "fuel trim too lean" but does not store or resolves itself because the fuel light isnt on and the needle says i have a quarter of a tank.

It would seem my fuel guage needs to be recalibrated, so i went to holden and asked for a quote to have it recalibrated and i got a generic holden answer "how long is abit of string". So i walked out and now dont know i should try and tackle this issue along with the slow turn over.

PLEASE! someone help me out, both myself and my local mechanic are exhausted

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Bit confused by your symptoms, descriptions and remedies, which don't seem to have anything in common..
Why are you driving it on an near empty tank ? Forget getting the fuel guage recalibrated, work out what it shows after X distance from full and work on that.
New fuel pump...likely suspect , and what was wrong with the old one ? Fuel filter OK ?
Why a new starter motor ? Is the battery in good condition ? The earth strap OK ?

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Some of the things i replaced just because they needed to be done, however doing it all at once probably wasnt smart...
The fuel light doesnt come on and im running out with still 1/4 tank left on gauge. I usually only get 350kms to a tank because i only drive 10k round trip to work every day, making it hard to calculate how much juice is left in the tank. For instance, i fill the tank until it overflows, start car, only have 3/4 tank, drive 40kms and i now have a full tank, then i continue driving and it runs out at a 1/4. i have only just realised it was the fuel gauge aswell, as there was no fuel light only a check engine followed by choking.

Fuel pump was replaced as well as the filter because it was noisy. The new pump and sender unit were identicle to the old one and the correct part numbers.
Starter motor was replace because it was believed to be taking to long to kick the engine over. However the only change when they were swapped was the new one is alot louder.
Battery is 3.5yrs old but has a 5yr warranty. Voltage is normal with the car off and started. Leads are tight

However i did notice yesterday when i put the dash into engineering mode, go to battery voltage, then try to turn over the car, the voltage drops down below 10v when its trying to crank.
Is that normal or too low? thinking the battery may be on its way out but is showing no other signs?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
3.5 year old battery, cold weather, 10ks to work, voltage below 10v.........time for a new one.

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Thanks! New battery is in, seems to be running right, voltage doesnt drop below 10v when cranking. Any advice for fuel guage?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A quick search found this.

FUEL CALIBRATION
If fuel calibration is not required, press the MODE button to advance to the EXIT OPTIONS MENU

To check or adjust the Fuel calibration, work out the following before entering the Options menu:

1. Press the SET button for less than 2 seconds when Fuel used is showing in the right-hand window of the instrument panel display (to reset the Fuel used to zero).
2. For at least 5 five consecutive fuel fills, record the total litres added (but no more than 500 litres), according to the service station bowser.
3. If this is different to the Fuel used reading, enter Options menu and access the Fuel calibration option. The Fuel used is shown in the centre display. Press the DOWN or UP button to adjust the display to show the actual total Fuel used according to the service station bowser.
4. Press the MODE button to continue to 'EXIT OPTIONS MENU'.

NOTE: The Fuel calibration % automatically adjusts as the Fuel used is adjusted. The default Fuel calibration is 100.0%, with an adjustment range of 80% to 120.0%.

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
My VY SS only has a single window cluster, and doesnt show fuel used.

Battery hasnt fixed the issue. I just went to start the car, it cranked a few times then stopped, so i turned the key to off then to cranking again and it started first go. Sometimes its cranking and the car seems to only just start. Just trying to give everyone as much info as possible

Whats the next step?

Car will have to goto holden shortly anyway as webisto has confirmed my sunroof as a recall - another Holden saga they wont admit...

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Swapped the high bean and starter relay around, no difference
The key is only 3mth old, brand new condition