Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is the TPS a late or early V6 one. Early won't work on an Eco. They do fit early V8 though.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
just a lil thing I noticed, don't pump the accelerator pedal, its a efi car not a carbi car, turn key on to ignition reds and let fuel pump prime up, you will hear whirring sound.. then turn key to start. Pumping will cause issues with ecu and sensors/codes.
Just a lil hint, also you never know, how is the fuel pump/pressure ??? also put fuel in car as I see your on reserve, maybe pump has **** from bottom of tank ???
Another lil hint check all fuses/relays as the bcm will cut pump/fuel of if any body fuse like central locking is blown with cause immobilisor to stop start ??

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
how old is your fuel filter
is it installed correct direction

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you have a fuel problem of some sort. Listening to your video, your engine acts exactly similar to when you remove the fuel pump relay to depressurise the fuel rail prior to replacing the fuel filter. The main difference is that when you remove the relay, the engine will start and continue running for a few times and then not start again. In your case, it seems as though once the engine stops, there is sufficient pressure to pass enough fuel into the rail to enable the engine to start again for short periods of time. You could try swapping the fuel pump relay with another of the same type to see if that makes a difference. Other than that, possibly a new fuel pump would be the go. Also, don't know if a problem with the fuel pressure regulator would cause the problem you are experiencing.

Perhaps you could clarify whether your car stops starting at all, after a number of short periods of starting. I think that your video shows three or four starts.

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
just a lil thing I noticed, don't pump the accelerator pedal, its a efi car not a carbi car, turn key on to ignition reds and let fuel pump prime up, you will hear whirring sound.. then turn key to start. Pumping will cause issues with ecu and sensors/codes.
Just a lil hint, also you never know, how is the fuel pump/pressure ??? also put fuel in car as I see your on reserve, maybe pump has **** from bottom of tank ???
Another lil hint check all fuses/relays as the bcm will cut pump/fuel of if any body fuse like central locking is blown with cause immobilisor to stop start ??
I will get out there and check all fuses and relays on the weekend. I will also chuck some fuel in it. Really hoping this issue will just go. But I won't hold my breath haha

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
how old is your fuel filter
is it installed correct direction
Fuel filter was changed about 2 months ago. And about 6 months before that as well

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Throttle Position (TP) sensor is attached to the throttle body, and is internally rotated by the throttle body shaft. It is a potentiometer with one end connected to 5 volts from the PCM and the other to PCM earth. A third wire is connected to the PCM, allowing it to measure the variable output voltage from the TP sensor.

As the throttle valve angle is changed (accelerator pedal moved), the TP Sensor output voltage also changes in proportion. At a closed throttle position, the output voltage is usually below 1.0 volt. As the throttle valve opens, the output increases so that, at wide-open throttle, the output should be above 4.0 volts. By monitoring the output voltage from the TP sensor, the PCM can determine fuel needs based on throttle opening (driver demand).

A broken or loose TP Sensor, or one that has an unstable output, can cause intermittent bursts of fuel because the PCM thinks the throttle is moving. Results could include engine surge or poor idle quality. If the PCM interprets a high voltage when engine RPM is less than 400, hard starting could be the result (clear-flood mode).

A problem in any of the TP sensor circuits will set either a DTC P0122 or DTC P0123 after the engine is started. Once a Diagnostic Trouble Code is set, the PCM will use an artificial default value for TP sensor based on engine RPM to enable the vehicle to be driven, although performance could be less than normal. The TP sensor is not adjustable. The PCM uses the reading at idle as "0% throttle," so no adjustment is necessary.

There are further checks that can be done to check the voltage produced by the TPS, but they require Tech2 to be plugged in.

I'm not sure which wire is checked for voltage using a multimeter.

All you can do is replace the TPS on the throttle body. That is something you can do yourself. It may not solve the problem but it is a fair bet it will. A V6 TPS is about $20-$40 on eBay.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
???

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
VX's fuel gauges are notorious for giving incorrect readings. My bro in law's would not start if parked on an angle with 1/3 of a tank of fuel sometimes, put fuel in & it'd go.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Did you put the maf on backwards? I done that before