Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would have assumed car would go into limp mode and idle higher
but who knows
the more you know the less you know

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Every time I have had a failed TPS and I've had around four go, it idled ok but wouldn't shift hardly at all, and eventually not at all. But I have never fitted one without the plastic part.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Maybe that adaptor holds the throttle open a liytle

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
So, I got the check engine light to go.. thankfully... Now I'm trying to weed out why it runs rough and stalls while driving... Since I took my car off the road I've replaced the Radiator, Battery, oil, oil filter, starter motor, spark plugs and leads, fuel filter, fuel injectors, inlet manifold gaskets, throttle body, idle air speed controller, TPS, fuses, engine mounts and God knows what else haha... Changing the crankshaft position sensor on the weekend..
I'm hoping this is the last thing I need to replace to get it going properly.. coz the only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So, I got the check engine light to go.. thankfully... Now I'm trying to weed out why it runs rough and stalls while driving... So far I've replaced the oil, oil filter, starter motor, spark plugs and leads, fuel filter, fuel injectors, inlet manifold gaskets, throttle body, idle air speed controller, TPS, fuses, engine mounts and God knows what else haha... Changing the crankshaft position sensor on the weekend..
I'm hoping this is the last thing I need to replace to get it going properly.. coz the only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump

Have you changed the dfi & coils yet?
If yes, have you checked the wiring from the dfi plug. Check for cracked, exposed wiring.
Also check the plug, look for black crap on the pins.

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Have you changed the dfi & coils yet?
If yes, have you checked the wiring from the dfi plug. Check for cracked, exposed wiring.
Also check the plug, look for black crap on the pins.
Oh, yeah I forgot (thanks for the reminder), I replaced all 3 coils. Had the dfi tested to make sure that was ok. It passed.
I'll have to check all connections on the weekend. I just want to be able to drive it again lol. Then take the VY off the road..finally

So many people have asked why I don't just sell it haha. Then I rattle off all the parts I've replaced

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Doubt the things you changed will stall an engine...run rough & misfire but not shut it down.

Has CAS ever been changed or checked?

Tbh hard to say from a short clip.

Sounds like car has been messed around with a fair bit over time so be handy to keep known good spares ready to swap out just in case...split pin & fault codes memorized

MissKaos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vx Commodore V6
Doubt the things you changed will stall an engine...run rough & misfire but not shut it down.

Has CAS ever been changed or checked?

Tbh hard to say from a short clip.

Sounds like car has been messed around with a fair bit over time so be handy to keep known good spares ready to swap out just in case...split pin & fault codes memorized
Pretty sure the CAS never would've been replaced before I bought the car. When I got it (dodgy car-yard), they said it had been serviced. A month later it started playing up so I decided to check the plugs and what not. The state of the plugs looked like they hadn't been changed for a few years. They were that rusty.

A lot of the stuff I've replaced is what the car failed on when I tried registering it over here. Although it never skipped a beat on the drive from NSW to W.A

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Once you get all those bugs sorted shouldn't be much to go wrong & if it does you'll know how to fix it.