Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Oil

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SV6 Commodore 3.6L
Hi Guys,

for the basic services i do it myself and leave the major service to the workshops.

i completed the service and now i keep getting the popup on the dash stating

"Says check engine oil
Add oil"

now i've tried the typical clear service reminder etc but it keeps coming back

someone mentioned to me that it is the oil level sensor stuck. what would be the cause of it coincidently breaking at the same time I've done the service.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem before as i want to resolve it without waiting?

and could the bottom sensor on the sump be the issue at all as i was using a degreaser to clean oil off the bottom of the sump and it could have affected that sensor?

cheers

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CPS121-...010290&hash=item214ef04bae:g:KwkAAOSwj91cO9M8

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Odd as I didn’t think VF’s had oil level sensors and condition based oil change active for Australian vehicles.

Now I have to read my owners manual and service manual again - thanks for that :p

Edited to add I should also ask if the oil level is correct according to the dip stick?

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah well, I know mine at least does :O
and yes I've checked the dipstick multiple times as the variation of temperature with the oil can change the amount and each time i've checked its definitely above the Minimum line

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, both V8 and V6 engines have oil level sensors according to the VF workshop manual.
Sadlt the V6 engine requires the sump to be removed if the oil level sensor needs replacing.

When the correct oil level is within the sump, the V8 sensor is normally closed. When the oil is below a calibrated level the switch is open. The ECM monitors the signal line from the switch with the engine both running and off. The ECM receives a low voltage signal when the oil is at the correct level or a high voltage signal when the oil is low (where it sends a serial data message to the instrument cluster which then displays the low oil level message).

Luckily for V8 owners, this sensor can be easily replaced by draining oil and unscrewing the sensor from the side of the sump so it's much easier than that of the V6 setup.

In both cases, supposedly, the "GM Oil Life System" needs to be reset when changing oil or sensor but i haven't found where in the service manual this is defined.

As insomnia is fading, if i remember i'll look through the service manual another day and post a link to the thread where you can find the pdf.

Last edited:

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
that would be really helpful,

im abit confused what is the sensor on the oil filter housing and the one spot i can buy parts (supercheap) only lists
Engine oil pressure Sender/switch
and where can i find the sensor thats one the sump

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF service manual

Download the manual. I use a pc and open the PDF it in libreoffice. This open source software provides the document index in a left pane when opened which makes it easier to navigate the document as the internal links don’t work.

The oil level switch is internal but there is a connector on the side of the sump where the wiring plugs in. The manual has pictures of the various oil related senders ;)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Be prepared when downloading, the manual is around 1.7 gigabytes in size.

Last edited:

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is going to be a big effort job aha :O

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where can I buy the required part and what usually causes this to occur

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden spare parts is always worth asking how much the oil level sensor costs. When you get a part number you could do a google search to find if the price is ok.

As to the cause of the failure, who knows. I haven’t seen one so don’t know how they are constructed but if it has some sort of float, gunk from old oil could be holding the float stuck.

Did you use some oil flush when you changed the oil? Maybe it loosened some crud and it fell on the sensor. Another oil flush and oils change may free it up; don’t know. Also have you checked the wiring (as described in the manual) as degreaser especially with a pressure washer could cause issues. Something to consider before considering sump removal o_O