Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CHECK ENGINE" Warning Illumination and esp off, 08 SS

Big Wazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V8
Hi, I was going for a drive today and stop and turned off my car. When I turn the car on the Check Engine warning light came on with the ESP Off sign and it was running abit ruff, by the time I got home it was running normal again. Every time I start the car the check engine comes on, i've done 144500km, Can any one help, thank Wazza

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go and get the codes read.

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Had similar... would struggle to start like the battery was flat, flash up check engine/contact dealer or whatever just for a second, then stuck with ESP OFF & running rough (tended to do this only after it had been run/warm engine). I took the intake off & cleaned the MAF and throttle body whilst doing something unrelated & since then its all but gone. Assumed maybe had too much oil on the K&N and some crap has somehow got on the MAF and/or throttle body OR the wiring/plug to the MAF was dodgy (pretty sure if you leave it unplugged it will flag the ESP OFF and run rough). Worth a try if you havent sorted it already. This is on an '06 R8 @ ~120k btw.

Daptoid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PAC Dual Fuel
Hi, I was going for a drive today and stop and turned off my car. When I turn the car on the Check Engine warning light came on with the ESP Off sign and it was running abit ruff, by the time I got home it was running normal again. Every time I start the car the check engine comes on, i've done 144500km, Can any one help, thank Wazza

Hi mate did you work.out what it was my ve omega done the same thing today?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
dying battery can also cause this, mine did similar, battery was nearly stuffed, starting feels a bit slow may be a sign, once going voltage comes up and no probs (everything runs on power) get your battery tested

r4q2

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 Ex Police Pursit
Hi I've just had this problem today, going to get it checked out asap, but from what I've found after search the web it could be a number of problems, battery, MAF, etc.

I'll post up my out come once it's sorted.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
^^^ Almost Dead battery for me. Had the exact same symptoms.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Fuel Injector for me.
Best to get the codes read, otherwise it could be anything engine or transmission related :eek:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
also on the power/battery issue (if it is) there is a connection at your jump start post (I believe) and then runs to starter, this can be loose and cause power issues

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
How about the same engine light/esp light flashing but also a terrible knock sound after it kicks over. Like a rod is about to come through the block.
This happened to me last week. Hoping it's not a full rebuild but it's not sounding good.