Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"CHECK ENGINE" Warning Illumination - (Code: P0008 NP) - VE SV6 MY08.

Skyhawk

Barometric Pressure
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 MY08 Sedan
Over the past five weeks or so; I have noticed an intermittent "CHECK ENGINE" warning light, which illuminates on the centre (red) dash display (and steady yellow 'engine' icon), in conjunction with an audible alert. As stated, the warning is only intermittent at this stage. It will appear maybe once every couple of weeks and then extinguish.

My local Holden Dealer performed a quick diagnostic, which revealed the following code: P0008 NP (Engine position system performance).
The technician who performed the diagnostic, said that the code relates to a possible stretched timing chain. He also stated that I shouldn't be too concerned at this stage.
I was advised to have a Holden specific software/firmware upgrade performed and then assess what happens from that point onwards.

If the timing chain is in fact the issue; I was quoted approximately $3,500.00 for repair costs.
On the same token, the Dealer Customer Representative said that over 90% of these warnings are indeed, false.
He also stated that he has only ever seen actual timing chain replacements occur in Captiva vehicles and not VE Commodores.

My vehicle (VE SV6 MY08) has travelled 170,000 km's and has always been properly serviced etc. I have however, noted in the past six months or so; a slight degradation in engine performance/power and somewhat poorer fuel economy, compared to say, this time last year. On the basis of this evidence alone; I am not convinced that the engine warnings are "false."

Has anybody else on this forum site, experienced identical issues with their VE SV6? If so, what action did you take?
I'm no mechanic/technician, but I could imagine that Holden would typically over charge on these repair costs!

Any information would be greatly valued. Thank you in advance!! :)

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i didnt think the 08 had that timing chain problem. from 07 downwards they did. as they changed to the new timing chain on the 08 models. i have a 07 SV6 got my timing chain done for $1700 here in melbourne. dealers can charge heaps. where a good local mechanic can be so much less. when my chain went on mine. yes i noticed power loss right away. do a search on here. there is heaps of threads on the timing chain error. to many to count.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ores.com.au/forum.php&ref=&ss=7584j4503636j15

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon

Skyhawk

Barometric Pressure
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 MY08 Sedan
Thanks for that kwaka738. Much appreciated!

Skyhawk

Barometric Pressure
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 MY08 Sedan
Thanks for your help SV6.07. My vehicle is a 2007 build.