Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check oil light on idle

Thiele07

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS 6.0L
2008 VE SS 6.0L

So about 5 weeks ago my check oil light would come on when in idle e.g stopped at traffic lights but only once the car had been driven for about 15/20 minutes prior i would either take off or just put 700 / 800 rpm on and it would disappear so i assumed oil pressure was dropping.

Took it to a mechanic and he said yep oil pump so while it was in getting a new oil pump both sensors got replaced, oil changed and new filter.
Sump was pristine so i was told.

Up until about a week ago we thought the problem was fixed but then the same thing kept happening again started off every now and then but then become more frequent but only when was idling so took it back in and ended up having all the o-rings under the valley cover replaced as that was his next option if the problem kept happening, they were very brittle and just crumbled in your hand when removed.

So things were sweet up until 2 days ago....
Problem is back
I have heard of cam bearings but i have no chirping or noises under the bonnet, lifters sound fine so just wondering if anyone has had the same problems its draining my wallet very bloody quickly 2500 spent already and not keen on spending much more.
Any ideas on the problem would be awesome

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_175104_896.jpg
    IMG_20181005_175104_896.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
First thing I would do is see if there is any fault codes in the system, then take it from there.
Sounds like the mechanic hasn't done his research on fault finding, and is playing guess the fault.
Even tho you said replaced both sensors, was that the Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Sender unit ?
The other thing that could cause the light to illuminate, is the Connectors/Plugs maybe faulty, lose wires, brittle insulation on t he cables and the wires are shorting out, dirty connector terminals.
I recommend getting a Analyser hooked up to it, and do some live readings & tests, make sure the readings are within the correct tolerance, without doing that, its just a guessing game.

Thiele07

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS 6.0L
First thing I would do is see if there is any fault codes in the system, then take it from there.
Sounds like the mechanic hasn't done his research on fault finding, and is playing guess the fault.
Even tho you said replaced both sensors, was that the Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Sender unit ?
The other thing that could cause the light to illuminate, is the Connectors/Plugs maybe faulty, lose wires, brittle insulation on t he cables and the wires are shorting out, dirty connector terminals.
I recommend getting a Analyser hooked up to it, and do some live readings & tests, make sure the readings are within the correct tolerance, without doing that, its just a guessing game.

I forgot to say ive had code readers hooked up yo it when it has the fault on the dash and when it doesnt, no codes come up. Also has had oil pressure reader on first time was reading really low when the light was on second time was basically nothing, at first he told me was either oil pump or cam bearings so he started with oil pump then he suggested he was reading about the o-rings under the valley cover and then was adimate it was that but if it wasnt said next is cam bearings.
Its not happening as frequently as what it was but seems to happen a hell of alot more on hotter days

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
just out of interest how many Km's are on it and what oil viscosity is the oil?

Gary Barrett

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Will watch this with interest on how this problem is sorted. I have a 2006 built VE SS auto with nearly 200K on the clock. My "check oil" light comes on backing down my driveway in the morning (reasonably steep)after the first start up of the day and sometimes about 2 minutes later at the first set of traffic lights. Warning light comes - a few warning beeps - then disappears. After that, not a problem. Nothing happens for all the start ups for the rest of the day....then Groundhog Day - same thing the next morning. Checked the oil - is not in need of any so I have been putting it down to a faulty senor (I hope) or oil still a bit settled. Have not rushed to my mechanic as yet, but will get him to cast his opinion.

Thiele07

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS 6.0L
just out of interest how many Km's are on it and what oil viscosity is the oil?

The oil that the mechanic last put in there is 15-40 and has just clicked over to 129km

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
L98 or L76?

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
My VE SS L98 is doing pretty much the same thing too. Almost done 200,000 and getting oil pressure issues at hot idle. Cold idle and startup no problems. When I had 5w30 my oil pressure bars went to 0 at idle and after about 30seconds, started tapping its guts out on 1 cylinder.

I did an engine flush and put penrite hpr 5w40 in and it was much better. But the oil light bars show about 1 when hot and sometimes flickers to 0 and back to 1. It still had some slight tappy noise but not too bad.

I'm thinking that oil pump is a bit worn and possibly tolerances in the bearings etc are getting a bit larger. Or maybe there is a bit of crap on the pickup screen. On acceleration, my oil pressure goes up to 5 bars (1/2 way) hot and cold.

Mine doesn't burn any oil or use any between oil changes.

Last edited:

User57621

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey, did you ever get the oil pressure resolved? My VE SS is going through the same. Had oil sensor changed and a service, still came on. So just replaced the oil pump, and it’s still saying check oil when idling. It ain’t cheap.