Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Oil Notification on dash

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you are experienced enough, the safest way to do it would be to pull the rocker covers off the top and the sump off the bottom. Then you will know for sure what condition things are in and if the whole thing needs a clean out. Once you've cleaned everything and replaced the pickup seal then put it back together and you can do an oil flush with much lower risk. If it's badly blocked up a flush won't even touch the sides.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yep, if you're keen to be back in action, you can nail what greenacc says over a weekend. Heaps of helpful people wrote heaps of helpful stuff on here, and what he says is simply a matter of following the instructions. You can pull all that stuff off - rocker covers, sump, timing cover - and restore new life to your motor by cleaning. It was the first thing I did when I bought my car off this Egyptian guy.

Looked like he had filled it up with camel blubber when it was new and then never changed it. Had to change the timing chains first. Had never owned one of these before, but by having a look on here and a couple of videos about it, I found it very easy. Easier than cleaning my overhead fishing reel, no joke. You couldn't even see the shape of some parts, so much oil coral had grown on there. You just use a bit of elbow grease and some gasoline, scrub it all clean. Use the right oil after and put a catch can on, like the other enthusiasts recommend here.

Biggest problem I have with the engine now is I can't hear it running, and keep trying to start it when it is already going. They come back from the dead no worries. A lot of little things bother you on the VZ now they are old, mainly from inattention and plastic and rubber bits perishing - the wrong oil - but all the major stuff is very robust. And everything is made so you can fix it.

Sometimes just the pickup blocks without sludging being too bad, but. Bits of plastic and silicone gasket and whatever got in through your oil filler cap over the years. Try just cleaning the pickup first if you don't want to embark on something more major. Chances are you will be good to go.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
It was never successful with mine, but I reckon if you pull that plastic bolt out on the front there that the oil sensor plugs into and fill the bottom of the sump with solvent and let it soak a long time, then rock your car to make a bit of sloshing, theoretically there might be some blockages you could get rid of. There is nothing in the bottom of the sump where the pickup is except the steel pickup, so you can't wreck anything. Nothing compares to cleaning it but, because they are made in such a way you have to pull it out altogether to do it properly.