Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check oil problem please help!!

robertadams1022

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have been getting a message telling me to "check oil". I have done this and found that the oil level is full, so was wondering what else it could mean, the manual said something about oil pressure however i don't know what that even means...
Only just bought this car and am new to my Red P's so i am extremely inexperienced with cars.
Anyway thanks for reading this and i hope you can reply to this because i am worried that i shouldn't drive it.

demo9pro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Have you got an exhaust system? Or intake mods?

robertadams1022

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i dont have any intake mods. i think it is just as it left the factory, so dunno bout the exhaust system

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
get a workshop to check the oil pressure with a compatible scan tool, if that is fine, get them to check the oil level switch in the sump

demo9pro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Did you buy it new?

Alot of Oil Check lights are due to the cats and 02 sensors not working properly. Does it turn off after the car gets hot?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
OR is it that dodgey "Service Engine Oil" that flashes up on startup with a picture of an oil can, and is actually just a badly timed service reminder thats supposed to be used on the US cars but is active on quite a number of Australian cars ....

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
An extract from the VZ Factory Service Manual (file attached) gives an explanation of your problem. Certainly appears that you have an oil pressure problem - either actually low oil pressure, a faulty oil pressure sender or a problem with the wiring from the oil pressure sender.

Attachments

• Check Oil.doc
    95 KB · Views: 257

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I had this on the VZ recently, changed the oil pressure switch, now its all good, I think it was just over $80, dont know exactly coz my mate did it at his shop and didnt charge. Nice easy fix....for once!

robertadams1022

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
bought it 2nd hand last week... got 3 months warranty on it though so it shouldn't be a problem money wise :D
it isn't the dodgy "service engine oil" it is like the extract says from peterrobo, however the oil can goes away, and only shows up when im stopped at traffic lights and when i start up the engine.
apart from that, it seemed today that when i travelled at 60-80 k's it makes a funny sound in the engine that worried me
think i will have to drive back home and take it to the garage just in case its not just a faulty light and is a problem with the pressure or pressure switch.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
From your latest post where you indicate that a "funny sound" came from the engine today, I would suggest it would be worthwhile for you to get someone experienced to temporarily put an oil pressure gauge on the engine to verify actual oil pressure during driving conditions. Could be that you have a less than perfect engine that has suffered severe problems in the past and will bite you if not diagnosed (and corrected) during your warranty period.