Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check powertrain fault and running like a lemon!

PokkettRokkett

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Commodore Wagon V6
Hi guys,i have an alloytech v6 wagon and i serviced it myself (just basic oil and filter change) but i came up short 1 litre of oil so when i trotted off to the store to get more i wasnt suprised when the check oil light came on. I was however suprised that after i topped up the oil i still had the 'check oil' light come on. The car had cooled down before i put 2nd lot of oil into it, and as i drove off i reckon i got about 7-8 km's down the street when 'boom' she starts running like a lemon and the check powertrain light came on the dash...
So i proceeded to jump out and pop the bonnet and checked the vital fluids, which i found the transmission fluid was real low. Hoping that was just the problem i got the appropriate crap, filled her up (yes i replaced tranny filter too!) and still no joy! She still running rough as guts, backfiring, bouncing around and that stupid 'check powertrain' light is still there... Im hoping somebody can please help me out with a couple ideas so i dont have to pay through the nose by going through the elimination process of trying to fix things that arent broken till i find out what it is that actually is broken

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The car would have logged/recorded a fault code after the check powertrain message popped up
Pay a mechanic or an auto electrician to have the car scanned for fault codes
Then post the fault codes in this thread and someone will be able to point you to the specific problem

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
im not sure the oil light would come on 1lt short as tonner said get it scanned i recon could be the sender unit ??