Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain - vz crewman

Jackos94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Hey I’ve got a alloytec crewman 290k on the clock has been serviced and looked after just threw a check Powertrain warning at me when pulling out of an intersection. Starts missing a lot under 2k revs until the check power train flash’s again then starts really coughing to the point where I have to pull over. Turn her off drive for another 5 minutes then the same thing happens again.

Anyone have any ideas? I know cam sensor tend to go on the alloys other thought is maybe o2 sensor.
Only reason I’m asking on here is I live in woop woop my mechanic is 80kms-100kms away could maybe limp it over to him but worried I’ll do damage.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You be crazy as to throw parts at it. The reasons for a warning light are complex and lengthy.
Step 1. Plug a computer in and find some clues.
eBay for an OBD2 reader and get an app
What are the codes?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Only reason I’m asking on here is I live in woop woop my mechanic is 80kms-100kms away could maybe limp it over to him but worried I’ll do damage.

An odo of 290,000 is a lot, but still within the expected very long life of Alloytecs when they have been looked after over their service life and not subjected to anything untoward like abuse.

When and if something is seriously wrong with the engine to the point where the computers determine damage could occur, the engine will switch to limp mode, limiting both revs and speed. You should not drive long distances or all day when limp mode is active: it is just to get you "over the line" to service. Misfires can be caused by anything from a fault in the injectors, blockage(s) in the fuel line, immobiliser interfering with the fuel pump (#1632 error — usually a trip-fault with the immobiliser that instructs the fuel pump to starve the engine, thus giving rise to quite severe 'coughing', vibration and potential stalling). Get the car to a service facility asap.

Jackos94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
The Powertrain warning disappeared this morning still runs severely rough under 2000 revs but not running as bad as it was with the warning. i got it where it needs to go. Won’t be looked at till Monday just needed to make sure I could get it in.

Jackos94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Also i only payed 800 which is a bargain for a crewman, if I have to spend a tiny bit to get another year of life out of her I will.

Jackos94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
An odo of 290,000 is a lot, but still within the expected very long life of Alloytecs when they have been looked after over their service life and not subjected to anything untoward like abuse.

When and if something is seriously wrong with the engine to the point where the computers determine damage could occur, the engine will switch to limp mode, limiting both revs and speed. You should not drive long distances or all day when limp mode is active: it is just to get you "over the line" to service. Misfires can be caused by anything from a fault in the injectors, blockage(s) in the fuel line, immobiliser interfering with the fuel pump (#1632 error — usually a trip-fault with the immobiliser that instructs the fuel pump to starve the engine, thus giving rise to quite severe 'coughing', vibration and potential stalling). Get the car to a service facility asap.
Just an update turns out it was a combination of the imobolizer trip, I also ran the fuel low one day and must have sucked some **** into the fuel system causing blockages in an injector, also picked up a dodgy o2 sensor which explained the crappy fuel economy I was getting.
It’s funny with all those issues it still ran and from my perspective was a very smooth and great running car.
I’m pretty impressed with the alloytec in that respect. Now I’ve solved those issues I’ve gained a lot more confidence in this old girl 300k, will update everyone in 5 years time when it clocks 600k

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Just an update turns out it was a combination of the imobolizer trip, I also ran the fuel low one day and must have sucked some **** into the fuel system causing blockages in an injector, also picked up a dodgy o2 sensor which explained the crappy fuel economy I was getting.
It’s funny with all those issues it still ran and from my perspective was a very smooth and great running car.
I’m pretty impressed with the alloytec in that respect. Now I’ve solved those issues I’ve gained a lot more confidence in this old girl 300k, will update everyone in 5 years time when it clocks 600k

Immobiliser trips are very common in ex-Services cars, VE and VZ, chiefly a fuel starvation signal that trickles down the fuel feed and causes alarming engine vibration and 'hiccups', with the potential for stalling (e.g. on hills) and worsening the situation if one is tempted to 'floor it'. A techie with a scanner can easily clear these logged trips, but the problem remains because of the way the wiring was tapped into during the installation of electronics etc. in Service cars and altering the immobiliser so that even when the car is logged, there is full power available for accessories (lights, radios, transponders, speed traps, radars, etc.).

Oxy sensors on the VE were easily damaged by rocks and debris kicked up when driving at speed along rough gravel roads. I never had the sensor serviced or replaced on the VZ I owned. Indeed, I've seen broken off oxy sensors in the roadside gravel up here. Not that many of the drivers actually care what falls off their crappy cars...:eek: