Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking 6 Speed Transmission Fluid

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
this may also help

ne7y1j.jpg

sepqth.jpg

jtuz9i.jpg

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
The main thing is to remember NOT to turn your engine off while you are checking it or you will dump tranny fluid all over the floor

YeahNahJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey guys,

So recently the transmission fluid on my 2007 VE Calais V6 auto 5 speed has been leaking from the point where it attaches to the radiator. I'm fixing this leak today, although I will also need to top up the transmission fluid. I've read through the thread and checked under the car, although none of it is making sense to me. Is there a diagram of where the trans sump plug is, how to remove and what type of pump to put more fluid in?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Hey guys,

So recently the transmission fluid on my 2007 VE Calais V6 auto 5 speed has been leaking from the point where it attaches to the radiator. I'm fixing this leak today, although I will also need to top up the transmission fluid. I've read through the thread and checked under the car, although none of it is making sense to me. Is there a diagram of where the trans sump plug is, how to remove and what type of pump to put more fluid in?

Any help would be much appreciated :)
See post 11 above the photo 6.4 shows 5 speed transmission plugs, You would need a syringe type pump to fill via the filer plug. The syringe type pump is something like a bicycle tyre pump. I bought one many years ago, if I recall correctly it was referred to as a "wheel syringe" I don't know if that term is still used, or I my recollection of that is correct.

YeahNahJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
See post 11 above the photo 6.4 shows 5 speed transmission plugs, You would need a syringe type pump to fill via the filer plug. The syringe type pump is something like a bicycle tyre pump. I bought one many years ago, if I recall correctly it was referred to as a "wheel syringe" I don't know if that term is still used, or I my recollection of that is correct.
Thanks mate! I'll give it a try

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive wagon, VE wagon
Thanks stooge, I've been looking hard to find the info you put in #11.
I doubt if all the service places I've taken my car know the correct way to check the transmission oil level.
My car sometimes won't change up, after hard acceleration, more when it's cold. Do you think it could be low on oil, like someone at service has let too much out?
Any help would be great.
Anyone else had this problem with the series 2 V6 3L Sportswagon?
(Mine has just clocked 190000km)

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
series 2 V6 3L Sportswagon?
There is a "Performance Mode" that I've heard others say on this forum when the car is in Sports mode.

If the computer thinks that you're giving it a flogging and that you will again very shortly it'll hold that gear so it doesn't have to change gears again. It goes away eventually when the computer thinks you don't need it again.

Don't quote me on that as I'm not sure if it's correct, I've just seen a lot of people say that.

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Are those auto transmission additives any good to use, or are they harmful?

PS do you even have access to add them?

Last edited:

peter195863

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 vf sv6 commodore ute
You should check the level at least once a year.
To do this. Go for a drive from Cold for around 10Mins or so. Dont give it too much. Just drive it normally.
Go back home. Put the car into Park and Put Hand Brake on. Leave Engine Running.
The car must be on a level ground. (The Trans Fluid needs to be around 30-50Degrees (No More or No Less). Thats why you only drive the car for 10mins or so.
Grab a Number 14 Spanner I think. or 15. Somehow you need to slide under the side of the car and undo the Trans Sump Bolt which is located on the Rear under part of the Trans Sump. It wont drain your trans as it has a tube with that sits at the full level of the fluid.
You should get a slight trickle of fluid coming out. If you do, put the bolt back in straight away. The fluid level is good.

But I must say, its a bit of a prick as there is not much space to slide under the car. If your a skinny person, should be OK. And also you can burn yourself on the exhaust (In my case).
I though next time I might jack the front and rear of the car up at the same height which might make it easier.

IMO Holden should have put a Dipstick for the trans. All they had to do was put a lockable Dipstick to prevent tampering under warranty. If the lock is broken, it voids the warranty of the trans.
At least after warranty has ended, you can break the lock. Mercedes had this same principle.
The only reason holden never put a dipstick was to prevent people from putting the wrong fluid in, or overfilling it, as most people dont know the procedure to check and fill the trans.
Not for Engine Bay fires. Thats just rubbish. This never happens with other cars so why should it happen to Holdens.
do u drop the plug on the pan of the auto . i pull the plug for the filling purpose is what i've read in my workshop manual