Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking Disptick Oil level

kingcool135

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Caprice V8 6.0
Hi all , Hope everyone is fine,
I have a question about my car ( Holden Caprice V8 6.0 2008 ) same as holden ve commodore 6.0 ,
I recently changed the engine oil (about a month ago )
After 2000 kms these are the results of my engine !

before ( see pic ) https://postimg.org/image/e3x3kgu6l/ (the arrow shows where was the oil )
after ( see pic ) https://postimg.org/image/iipnrop0l/ (the arrow shows where is the oil now )

Now I check the oil level daily , its not leaking or burning anymore oil its on the same level ( after pic ^ )
Is the oil level OK ?
Will it hurt engine ?

Thanks,

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
How much oil did you put in?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Did you put a new oil filter in also? It'll suck up a bit. I always over-fill all my cars slightly, it's never an issue and they usually settle down to the full mark.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Oil level is okay there, but why not just top it to the top mark with whatever oil you used to change it with.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
depending on year they take between 7.5lt and 8.3lt for a oil filter service, I would top it up so it is full, always best,

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Even if u slightly over fill it you won't be hurting anything, I'd rather my oil be slightly over full (not by much) than below the full level on the dip stick

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Also if you've changed oil and filter then the level on the dipstick will drop if after u start the car due to filling the filter, oil in cavities in the engine etc I always fill it above the mark then check it a day or so later and will have settled down to the right level

kingcool135

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Caprice V8 6.0
Thanks everyone for answering my question :) I will top up the oil to the full mark ? But if i dont , does it really hurt ? (just asking for general info)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Thanks everyone for answering my question :) I will top up the oil to the full mark ? But if i dont , does it really hurt ? (just asking for general info)

The answer is really the obvious one, if it's above the low mark, no it shouldn't hurt it, but the lower it is, if you miss checking it and it does drop further, then you may be doing it some harm. The up side of the 6 litre engine is the oil capacity being 7.5 litres even if it down 2 litres, there is still 5.5 litres of oil, which is half a litre more than a 5.7 litre LS1 engine takes. One reason for extra oil capacity of the 6.0 litre engine is the longer service intervals, the oil circulates less frequently, aiding in that longer service interval.