Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

checking engine oil and transmission oil level correctly....

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
hey so i have just been doing some checks on all the fluids and oils in my vp v6, but am not 100% sure the correct way to check engine and transmission oil. i went for a small drive to get the heat up to normal operating temperature, then with the car running at idle, i checked the engine oil, and it sat just below the maximum mark, then i checked the transmission oil and it was sitting just below the minimum mark. i then turned the car off and re-checked the oils and with the car turned off, the engine oil was a tad ABOVE the maximum mark, and the transmission oil sat just below the MAXIMUM mark. which readings do i believe? should i add a bit or drain a bit of engine oil? and should i add just a little bit or should i add alot of transmission oil? cheers for any feedback :thumbsup:

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
check engine oil hot or cold with engine stopped
when hot if level is correct may seem a few mm above full this is ok but a cm over the full mark is bad

transmission fluid
check with engine running and go through every gear manually for two seconds then leave it in park and check it should be be close to the maximum mark
should be checked hot but when first changing fluid check cold drive it then recheck

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
sweet thanks heaps mate ay, just what i needed :thumbsup: legend

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
transmission fluid
check with engine running and go through every gear manually for two seconds then leave it in park and check it should be be close to the maximum mark
should be checked hot but when first changing fluid check cold drive it then recheck

select is it P,R,N,[D],D,2,1 then Select park or 1,2,D,[D],N,R,P?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
select is it P,R,N,[D],D,2,1 then Select park or 1,2,D,[D],N,R,P?

Drive it until its at operating temperature and then park it on level ground with the engine running and in park, clean and reinsert the dipstick to check the level.