Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking error codes VR/VS (Revised)

commvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VR V6 Jan/1994
Hi Darren,

Thank you so much for this advice. I tried it and it worked. The result, it flashed 12 in the three periods.

Does this mean that the BCM is in good working condition?

If yes, then I need to change the speed sensor. How do you do it?

Are there other tests that I need to perform before replacing the speed sensor?

ethann

Low And Luxurious!
Reaction score
Members Ride
'11 WRX, '73 Stingray, Lifted/Locked GQ.
Just did this to the Statesman I bought this week, Got the all good, #12 =D
Pretty happy with that.

Although when I turn it on and start driving it makes some beeping kind of noises at me a few times, like 2-6 times or more sometimes.
Does anyone know what it could be?

commvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VR V6 Jan/1994
Hi,

How long do I have to sit there and watch the codes. I tried it after 10 flashes and it is still giving me code 12, which means all is clear and going good. The reason I am asking this question is that I have a problem with my speed signal and odometer. I checked and tested every possible scenario but still no fixing of the speedo. I started two different threads on this issue and had alot of help from other members to try to fix it. I am doubting now the ECU. To be more precise the signal coming out of the ECU at C5 to the speed signal instrument at connector No.2 pin No.2 which is the Violet/White stripe wire coming out of the ECU to the speed signal/Odomoter instrument.

If I take out the speed signal instrument. How can I check and test it if it is working on its won? What voltage and miliamps do I use?

warrendanni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 3
  1. Locate the diagnostic connector under the the steering column on the drivers side.
  2. Grab a paper clip and bridge pins number 5 & 6 'black' and 'white with black stripes' respectively on the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) connected which are located on the top row counting from the left.
  3. Jump into the drivers seat and turn the key twice (so lights are up on the instrument cluster).
  4. If you bridged out the correct wires 'Check Engine Lamp' will be flashing.
  5. The flashes are divided into 2 groups with roughly a second between each. You can read the flashes as follows:

The first series of flashes is tens, so for example lets say the first flash simply flashes once, this means the code is 10. After the pause (~1 second) a second series of flashes will appear, if this number is 2, the code it is spitting out is 12 which means everything is fine.

6. Another example just so you're sure ;)

The first series of flashes you count is 4 meaning 40, the second series of flashes is 3. Adding the 40 and the 3 will give you a code of 43 which means the Knock sensor circuit is experiencing problems.

7. Each code the computer picks up is repeated three times with ~3 second pause between, so its wise to sit there to make sure there isn't any problems it has picked up.
  8. Once you are finished turn off your ignition and remove the paper clip. It is important to note not to drive the car around while have wires are bridged as this will prevent new codes from being logged.

Any questions or queries please feel to contact me at anytime.

Checking the computer for codes is used in conjunction with the computer Fault Codes located here

once you find the codes how do u fix them?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
What codes did you get ?
Let everybody know what you got mate.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Are all the ALDL's meant to be in the same spot because I don't think my 93' VR Exec has one? So I cant test my codes...

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Correct Kurtp.

davo 89

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i have a vs commo it is showing the 18x signal refrence missing does anyone no
know what signal my be missing

Mike54

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hi there. Would like to find someone who can tell me how to disable the "Slow return to idle after the clutch is depressed" feature on my Manual VY. I have been told it was required on previous model to prevent stalling. However it is realy spoiling the driveability of the car. Ie engine revs do not back off between gear changes. I think the software would need to be altered or if used for nothing else maybe the clutch switch could be disabled. I cant be the onle one that hates this. Hope someone can help Regards Mike.