Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking error codes VR/VS (Revised)

DanielAbe1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore Executive V8 BT1
Hi Guys, i know this is an old thread but hoping someone can be of assistance, I ran the codes for my 1995 Commodore VS V8 Auto BT1 and got the following
12 first which i know comes up to start with
19 - TPS stuck open
22 - TPS voltage too low
69 - TCC Stuck on

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what needs to be done here, is it just a TPS change out or is there more to it

hellzraiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
  1. Locate the diagnostic connector under the the steering column on the drivers side.
  2. Grab a paper clip and bridge pins number 5 & 6 'black' and 'white with black stripes' respectively on the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) connected which are located on the top row counting from the left.
  3. Jump into the drivers seat and turn the key twice (so lights are up on the instrument cluster).
  4. If you bridged out the correct wires 'Check Engine Lamp' will be flashing.
  5. The flashes are divided into 2 groups with roughly a second between each. You can read the flashes as follows:

The first series of flashes is tens, so for example lets say the first flash simply flashes once, this means the code is 10. After the pause (~1 second) a second series of flashes will appear, if this number is 2, the code it is spitting out is 12 which means everything is fine.

6. Another example just so you're sure ;)

The first series of flashes you count is 4 meaning 40, the second series of flashes is 3. Adding the 40 and the 3 will give you a code of 43 which means the Knock sensor circuit is experiencing problems.

7. Each code the computer picks up is repeated three times with ~3 second pause between, so its wise to sit there to make sure there isn't any problems it has picked up.
  8. Once you are finished turn off your ignition and remove the paper clip. It is important to note not to drive the car around while have wires are bridged as this will prevent new codes from being logged.

Any questions or queries please feel to contact me at anytime.

Checking the computer for codes is used in conjunction with the computer Fault Codes located here

hi i have just done all this on my vs ute came up clear no faults but after few minutes of driving 10 or more i guess it seems to go into limp mode wont rev past 3000 rpm while driving real slumbox to be exact my question is should i be checking faults whilst im having this problem or is it possibly some thing else

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Hey guys, I know this thread is old, but I tried the fault code check today. Weird thing happened, I think the clip went into pin 5 first (not sure if it's supposed to go into both 5 & 6 at once) and it made a tiny little bzzt noise, so I quickly pulled it out. Now my aerial won't come up when the radio is on, and when you press the button to make it go up, it messes with the fan for the A/C & heater?? Have I shorted something out, and stuffed the computer??

Slow93VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Calais
Thanks for the help, I was able to diagnose a dodgy solenoid in my gearbox.

Rikashay09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vt
Need help!!!

Hey guys. I have a 99 vt 3.8, it was stolen a little while ago and I've just got it back to find it's been tampered with. I have tried starting it and it only cranks over but won't fire, I've replaced the bcm and key head but still nothing. Checked the fuel pump and fuel lines everything looks fine. Tried starting it again and still nothing.. I tried doing a diagnostic test by bridging the plug under steering column and my engine light doesn't come on to tell me what it is.. Anyone have any ideas or help??

Nathan kenny

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore
This is a revised version of Darren's How-to. This just has pics added for those of you who get stuck.

Locate the diagnostic connector under the the steering column on the drivers side.

000_0493%20(Large).jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Grab a paper clip and bend it like this:

000_0491%20(Large).jpg

Bridge pins number 5 & 6 which are located on the top row counting from the left.

000_0495%20(Large).jpg

It should now look like this:

000_0497%20(Large).jpg

Jump into the drivers seat and turn the key twice (so lights are up on the instrument cluster).

If you bridged out the correct wires 'Check Engine Lamp' will be flashing (the engine fan will also run - this is normal).

The flashes are divided into 2 groups with roughly a second between each. You can read the flashes as follows:

The first series of flashes is tens, so for example lets say the first flash simply flashes once, this means the code is 10. After the pause (~1 second) a second series of flashes will appear, if this number is 2, the code it is spitting out is 12 which means everything is fine.

Another example just so you're sure

The first series of flashes you count is 4 meaning 40, the second series of flashes is 3. Adding the 40 and the 3 will give you a code of 43 which means the Knock sensor circuit is experiencing problems.

Each code the computer picks up is repeated three times with ~3 second pause between, so its wise to sit there to make sure there isn't any problems it has picked up.

Once you are finished turn off your ignition and remove the paper clip. It is important to note not to drive the car around while have wires are bridged as this will prevent new codes from being logged.

Any questions or queries please feel to contact me at anytime.

Checking the computer for codes is used in conjunction with the computer Fault Codes located here

Hello my name is nathan I have the same problem with my engine light it keeps comeing on i turn the car off and on i drive down the road and it comes on again is the any way of fixing it so it dont come back on thanks l

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Go to post 21. Read carefully
Check for error codes.
Post codes on here.

Nathan kenny

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore
Hello my name is nathan I have the same problem with my engine light it keeps comeing on i turn the car off and on i drive down the road and it comes on again is the any way of fixing it so it dont come back on thanks l

Thanks for the reply I have just woken up about to have a cuppa of coffee than I have to find a paper clip so do i leave the car off to put the paper clip in than turn it on to reds on the dash

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
yes.
Make sure you count right.
First time will flash 1=1 / 2=2 so code number is 12.
It will do that 3 times.
So if you have a code say 13 it will go 1=1 / 3=3 so code number is 13 and will flash 3 times.
You may have more codes so count properly.
Just remember if your not sure you can turn off and start again.
Have pen and paper ready.

I was not sure the first time I did it but it is easy.
Remember to take the clip out and don`t start with it in.
Good luck.