Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

checking Oil in the gearbox and the diff in a VL Commodore

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows how to check the oil levels in the diff and the gearbox of a manual VL commodore......

Any help greatly appreciated.......cheers

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the diff oil level should be checked when the car hasnt been driven for at least 6 hours otherwise the oil will be areated with small air bubbles and give a false reading
lever off the rubber bung and if anything flows out, let it, if theres water in the axle ( from driving thru water) everything will need to be drained out

otherwise use your finger as a dip stick, put it in and bend it down to check the level

if needed, fill it to the bottom of the hole

since the additives all wear out eventually, its not a bad idea to occasionally change the diff oil. sadly the bottom housing bolts arent drilled thru ( as they are on some earlier holdens) and so wont work as drain plugs, a syringe will be needed to suck the old oil out and to put the new oil in

diff oil no longer seems to have the old familiar hypoid smell, anyone know why?

also check the breather on top of one axle side as if this gets blocked with mud, all sorts of leaks and problems can result

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
but its a ford diff and my old ford had a drain bolt in the back of the housing. i thought the vl diff would be the same.

G

Grantis1976

5 spds have a threaded square plug, like a hex head but only 4 sides.

Undo this with the right tools, or you can stuff them up.!

To check the oil level is the same as the diff. Level with the bottom of the plug.

Oil should look similar to olive oil. Any discolouration, and should be replaced.

Gearbox oil will normaly last longer than the box itself.

Good Luck !:coolpimp:

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
Grantis1976 said:
5 spds have a threaded square plug, like a hex head but only 4 sides.

Undo this with the right tools, or you can stuff them up.!

To check the oil level is the same as the diff. Level with the bottom of the plug.

Oil should look similar to olive oil. Any discolouration, and should be replaced.

Gearbox oil will normaly last longer than the box itself.

Good Luck !:coolpimp:
Which tool exactly? I need to open that plug on my 5 spd!