Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking your Computer for Faults (VN - VP)

evl-304

lovin tha v8 grunt
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais v8 5.0
i jus done mine came up 12 so all is fine but i still have the engine light which flashes on n off when im driving does anybody know who had the same problem??? if u fixed it how did u do it???

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
Hi all....I'm glad I've spent some time reading here a lot today, because now I know the thermo fan is suppose it come on...BUT.....in doing this the engine light dosn't even flash. It comes on for a few seconds when I start the car, but goes off with the battery & oil light once car is started. And I haven't seen the thing come on while driving for well over 12 months. Could it be a problem with the ECU? Also if I start the engine while the paper clip is in, the engine runs very very rough then stalls...then its like that even after taking the clip out, after a few starts it seems to settle down, but wil still idle a little rough.:unsure:

I have a late 89 S1 VN

Last edited:

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Just checked, Got the good ol 12. Happy now, But car still revs strange when my foot is on the clutch and im prayin that when i start the car tomorrow the engine light doesnt flash like some other people have had to them ill be spewin if it does......

commodorekid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
Vn vp computer faults

Hi Darren , great thing mate , I got a 34 fault, what's the best way to rectify that??

David.

taskmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT series 2
Hi Darren , great thing mate , I got a 34 fault, what's the best way to rectify that??

David.

soz to dregde up a old post but a few questions unawnsered that may still help people

NO not the same a vq

and please remember to reset the ecu before doing this i belive just d/cing the battery works than allow engine to run for a while then test so you dont get old codes

at times also the ecu doesnt store new data so remember to REMOVE your clip when your done

EDIT: jaycar sell a handy gizmo for shorting switches / plugs like this works well if your a pc tech working on a psu also

VNSV38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HSV SV3800, '76 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
hey guys,
does anyone know where i can find a list of what all the error codes stand for?
there was one posted in here but its no longer valid or something.
cheers.

npsydney

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
to help diagnose the problem

I've been reading through the entire thread (Seems to be a common problem)
I followed some of the links and found some handy info.

My VP it just intemittently stops every mow and then, but still it turns over, I can wait 3 - 5 minutes and its seem to resolve it self.
The mechanic couldn't fix it because he isn't able to see the problem in person.

I read that shorting pins A & B with a 3.9k 1.5v resistor will put the ECU in backup mode (or limp home mode)

To get to the bottom of this I'm gona buy a 3 pole switch, some cable, a resistor and hock it up to the ECU, I can simulate the paper clip bridge in the first switch position and have it off in the centre switch position and limp home mode in the other switch position.

That way the next time it stops I can diagnose the fault when it happens next and switch to limp home mode to get me going again.

I haven't tries it yet, but can't see why it wont work.

Has anyone tries this yet?

Hopefully I'll know or the mechanic will know what to replace, without having to spend $2000 as someone in an earlier post did.

Last edited:

crawjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks Darren! really wicked thread!