Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chevy SS production underway

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
And when we dont have any local built cars, people will still sook. No win really.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I think it great, dont care about their price tag.

when the Commodore dies in 2016 and Im assume Holdeing gets renamed GM to comply as the global brand and we're all now driving Chevy SS with LS3s and paddle shifts WITH NO MANUAL OPTION then we'll see some people have a cry.....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think it great, dont care about their price tag.

when the Commodore dies in 2016 and Im assume Holdeing gets renamed GM to comply as the global brand and we're all now driving Chevy SS with LS3s and paddle shifts WITH NO MANUAL OPTION then we'll see some people have a cry.....

Nope. Holden trademark will stay nomatter what. I think GM have learned a valuable lesson recently with the Opel failure in Australia. Further, Chevrolet in GB seems to be having similar (lack of) success. If Holden close down manufacturing they will simply import everything and bang a lion badge on the front. I still think Holden will stay. They have deferred their decision till after the election but the workforce seems to have voted to stay. The dollar is heading in the right direction and I'm sure that the LNP won't let them close although funding will change from direct handouts to other methods.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I hope your right. I know the head of GM wanted the rename Holden as GM not long ago. Hopefully the Malibu can be made in Australia now the Korean plant will close and hopefully there's always a GM V8 vehicle in the range weather it be Commodore, Camaro or SS for sale and made here in Australia.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
I don't care about the price they are paying in the US for this car. But why isn't it an option for us to buy a VF with paddleshift? I get why Holden won't have the LS3 as an option as it will step on HSV toes and there is contracts in place for that most likely. But surely its a win/win for everyone if we can get paddleshift?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm very surprised that paddles aren't available on the HSV's. That said my only interest is in the row boat varieties anyway.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Paddle shifts are boring.

itsme4g63

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO
Aye,

Cant wait to see these on the streets & dealerships here. Sux we wont get any proper manual sports models. As far as pricing 45k for a chevy is alot to ask for in the states so im surprised its even that much but the oroduction numbers might reflect price; maybe if they forecasted double or triple the price would be even cheaper with such a big market here youre starting to step on gs lexus/bmw 5 series etcc toes. The reason I think we get the ls3 as standard along with other amneties is because we don't really get model options here for this car; its just going to come in as one package pretty much stacked and id imagine is the right thing to do when you're trying to bring a new car in with only one model available. Maybe down the line when sales are good well get more stripped down versions.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
As reported to basically all potential SS buyers in forums today by Autoguide and GMinsidernews via G8board
G8 Production of the Holden Commodore-based Chevrolet SS began last month, but the production run could be interrupted soon.
GM’s Holden division has threatened to halt vehicle production in Australia if the government doesn’t commit to fresh subsidies within two months. While it might seem easy to ignore an issue on the other side of the world, there are implications for the U.S. car market.
Chevrolet spokesperson Afaf Farah confirmed that the SS entered production in August, but declined to comment on how long the limited volume vehicle will be in production. Even in the unlikely event that production of the SS starts and ends before the two-month deadline, the Caprice PPV would be affected. General Motors currently has three operational factories in Australia.
SEE ALSO: Chevrolet SS Priced From $44,470
The first shipment of SS sedans is expected to arrive later this year, likely with fewer than 1,000 cars according to past reports. Chevrolet has roughly 3,000 stores in the U.S., so even if production isn’t impeded, you don’t stand very good chance of seeing the 415-hp sedan at a stoplight.
Farah refused to comment on production volumes or when the current SS manufacturing run might end.

Looks like nobody's driving this bus? GMH needs to engage a strong PR plan to at least limit damage control from Chinese whispers... Else 'news reports' like this become self-fulfilling prophecy!