Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chips?

swarf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
G'day. I've got a vp berlina and want to change the V6 motor to the 5L.
Can anyone tell me what sort of problems I'm likely to run into? Will the thing just bolt straight on to the transmission/motor mounts? It's an auto am i likely to need a different torque converter/trans assembly due to the increase in power/torque? Would i just be better off trying to procure an entire motor/trans/drivetrain and if so is it likely to fit easilly?
Also will the ecotec (vs and up) motor fit in this older buick shape? A guy at the local performance shop says they "bolt straight in" is this true? and if so would i be correct to assume that ALL commodore motors VS to present day will fit?
Lastly he also told me that any change to the camshaft shape will result in a neccesary $1000 to re-program the computer (ecu?) Isn't that why they make CHIPS? I asked him this and he said that the chips were "close" but "not quite right" Does this sound right or is he just being gammon?
thanks for any help

fu2

The Man With No Name
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina II - GU Patrol CRD
well i just put a 5l into my vp berlina, what you need is engine, trans (they bolt up different to the v6 ones) loom, radiator, k frame, computer, i think thats all i changed

Jayme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L inj
as above, you will definitely need the v8 loom as the v8 runs a different ignition system and the v6 loom wont suit. you can keep your v6 computer if you grab a v8 memcal as the vn/p v6 and v8 all had the same ecu, just different memcals.

The guy you were talking to was right. A diff camshaft needs to have the ecu tuned to suit, a chip and a retune are talking about doing the same thing to the computer, the difference is that a chip is either pre made in bulk or a "mail order tune" sight unseen. the tuner makes the chip based on what the engine should theoretically be able to do. If you get a retune at a dyno however, the tuner can tune the ecu to the real world behaviour of your engine, so you get something a lot closer to optimum performance.