Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Choosing a compressor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking at getting a new compressor but I am confused as some people are I believe giving me incorrect info. So I have a few questions. First I want the biggest single phase I can get for under $1400. I have called about one, Total Tools Lonsdale have Iron Air 3hp 12bar with FAD of 320lpm, and is a 2 piston job, which would be perfect. We have TTI in Launceston now but they are useless, they have NFI. But I may be able to get one in??

I went and saw Tool King, Launceston who was way more knowledgeable and had what looked like a decent compressor that was a 3 piston 360lpm pump displacement. Now he reckons that the three piston can deliver more air than the equivalent 2 piston?? I'm confused, can a 3 piston with Pump Displacement put out 360lpm FAD? Or is the loss like a 2 piston where you have about 30% loss between pump and FAD? He claimed it would put out 360lpm FAD. Now he sells these to the trade, so they are a decent unit. I'm just not sure he has the FAD right?? If I can get 300-320lpm FAD will be happy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well I went in today and have a price on a Millers Falls, triple piston, 360lpm FAD with a 3hp motor. Gonna set me back $1020 with a big reg/water trap. Looked on eBay and I could save about $200 and that's including freight. Compressor alone $996. He cut me a combo deal and the trap is a nice looking piece, $70 trap for $24. Thinking I won't risk eBay mainly because of warranty issues should something fail. He is the repair agent for the comps he sells, but pushing a warranty claim through eBay can be a PITA, as they may say I need to send it back and he may not want to repair a comp he did not sell, all because I wanted to be a cheap skate.