Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Choosing and fitting a stereo to a VK

B

big_c_43

Hey everyone i am hoping that u can answer my quetions plz.

I want to get a sound system for my car, i have about $800 to a $1000 to spend (i would like to get good quality for as cheap as possible and i dont really want to get second hand stuff)

I definately need a head unit, front speakers and rear speakers. Then amps and subs if i have any cash left. So what would u guys get with my budget.

My car is a 1985 VK there is one speaker (i think 6") in the back parcelle shelf and none in the front doors. Does anyone know that behind the door trims there is space to fit the 6" speakers and in the parcelle shelf is there already holes to fit the 6x9" speakers or do i have to cut metal.

So any feedback would be great especially with the door trims and the parcelle shelf question.

Thanx

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
ull need spacers for the front doors...

I've just got tweeters on my dash and 6x9s on an mdf parcel shelf at the back.. along with a sub and amp. I was thinking of putting fronts in but i dont wanna hack up my door trims, id rather save the speakers for my next car..

i didnt cut metal to put my 6x9s in but i do have risers and was lucky enough to find an mdf parcel shelf out of a VL. I wouldnt recommend putting in 6x9s if u are gonna get subs, they tend to mess with eachother and muddy up the sound. I know i did but it was that or nothing ;)

speakers are all upto u... on a budget id say a decent set of splits up the front, a cheap set of speakers for the back, and if ur budget streches, a 4 channel amp for the front splits and later on for a sub. Don't go overboard with the rear speakers if you're not gonna amp them, ones rated higher will just sound muddy. I put $98 pioneer jobs in the back of my mates integra last week, rated at 35w rms and they run beautifully as rear fill straight off the head unit.

as for head units most of the 'well known' brands lower model head units are very similar.. it just really comes down to personal preference. I like jvc :D

so say like 200 or so for head unit, budget for about 250 for the splits, 100 for rears.. then you have a few hundred to muck around with subs and amps

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Everyone has a different opinion on brands, i would go pionner, you get a great range to choose from.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
pioneer hey..
here i knocked up a quick quote... mainly using one guy coz i've dealt with him before and he offers discount for multiple items :thumbsup:

rear: these are the same ones i put in my mates car, were 98 bucks at strathfield
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PIONEER-TS1671-6-1-2-3-Way-Speaker-220W-Max-Power_W0QQitemZ190037771490QQihZ009QQcategoryZ130673QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
$98

front: these or the next model on yellow cone kevlars
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PIONEER-TSC1653-6-Component-Speaker-Pack-150W_W0QQitemZ190037771447QQihZ009QQcategoryZ130673QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
$169

head unit: jvc mp3/wma
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JVC-KD-G320-CD-MP3-WMA-Receiver-Detachable-Face_W0QQitemZ190032149408QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50559QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
$199

amp: 4x100w or 4x50w both will be ample
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RESPONSE-4x-100W-RMS-HIGH-POWER-CAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ260037616503QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$225 for 4x100w

sub: 12" pioneer in box $220 (or find a second hand one cheap as!)

$911
+ shipping + wiring + installation

just scrapes under budget if ur capable or know someone capable of installing it ;)

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
well ive got pioneer head, focal splits in door pods, pioneer 6x9s in custom spacers on a custom parcel shelf all made out of mdf, 2 12" kenwood subs in a custom and 1 amp to power the subs, plus sounddeadening stuff and paint all up about 1100 dollers so just do some resarch and buy it in stages. get ur hu and splits, then if you can rears then build from there but as long as u get a good hu you wont need to amp the speakers mine arnt and the system does me well.

pics of the system are here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=33446

B

big_c_43

Would there be holes already behind the door trims and underneath the carpet on the parcelle shelf cos the calias models were fitted with speakers in the doors and parcelle shelf?

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
and btw you cannot cut the metal of your shelf it i highly illegal and if you get caught with it you will be bent over.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
make that 'shouldnt' cut the metal ;-)

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
basically, you will get better sound if you can get 6 or 6.5" speakers in the front. Easiest way to do it is to use the door pods from a VR/VS, but this will involve cutting a little out of the doors

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
no not shouldnt you cannot by law cut the metal