Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Choosing the right torque converter

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by mattytess, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Hi guys, did a quick search on JC and could not find to much info on torque converters. Basically my auto just s'*t it self so I need to replace it. I've been meaning to upgrade the torque converter so thought I might as well do it whilst the box is out. After doing a bit of reading I've found that if you upgrade your cam and leave the stock converter in your more likely to stall the engine when braking due to the higher rpm stall needed in the converter. Also you don't get as much low end torque from the engine as you could with a bigger stall converter. B&M had a generic table showing the cam angles and the rough RPM converter needed. Here is a link to my cam. It's a stage 2 series 1 vn http://www.crowcams.com.au/search.aspx?EG=607&MK=13&PC=0
    basically mine has a 265-270 angle which according to B&M requires either a 2400 or 3000 RPM stall. http://bmracing.com/?page_id=50
    My questions are, is there any other variables that come into play, dif ratios ect and if so how do I choose the right stall. And I was told that if you have a 3000RPM stall and cruise on the freeway under 3000RPM you could do damage to the box/converter. Is this true. Any input would be great.

2. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Converter stall point should be based on your cams torque curve. You want the converter to stall when the engine is into the torque curve.

Best bet is to talk to a converter shop (or shops) and get some opinions.

In my opinion even a stock standard engine will go better with a converter that has a higher stall point then the standard converter.

Ideally the converter should be stalled when cruising in top gear, if it's slipping a lot then it will create a lot of heat. heat kills automatic transmissions.

If you had the engine dyno'd with the standard converter take that to the converter shop as it will show the torque curve which will help them recommend a converter to suit.

Cheers

3. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Hi guys anyone Know where to buy torque converters from. Called up a few performance places but they only deal with v8's not v6's

4. Trikky

Trikky Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Manual
    If you are NSW you could try Torque Converter Industries in Sydney, they also sell on ebay too

5. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Yeah Sydney region is what I'm after but I'm sure most places can post them

6. Trikky

Trikky Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Manual
    no worries, I paid $295 delivered for a fully rebuilt converter with the stall raised by 500rpm over stock from TCI

7. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    I spoke to them today. Was hoping to get some feedback on their converters before going ahead. Has it been ok for you. No dramas. I worry about a 2400 converter for mine as I don't want to be taking off from a stop with the revs at 2400rpm but from what they explained the revs will be very similar to stock. It's my daily driver so I don't want to chew fuel. Any feedback how it effects daily driving

8. showbags

showbags SENIOR EL'BAGO

Members Ride:
    VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
    My 2500 converter retains lock up and at light throttle its nice and tight so it behaves like a stock converter when your just cruising around. But mash the pedal and it'll flash stall to about 2700rpm and slingshot away. And an added bonus was my fuel consumption went down.

9. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Sounds about like what the converter place said. I just wanted to feedback from people running them. I will be ordering mine tomorrow. The second hand tranny only has 30 days warranty so I need to get it in ASAP and want the converter to go in the same time. No point delaying the inevitable.

10. showbags

showbags SENIOR EL'BAGO

Members Ride:
    VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
    You'll need to run a large trans cooler as well. The factory one will be too small now.

11. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    What's the need for a large trams cooler. I'm have an external one I'm using rather the going though the radiator. It's about 30cm by 20cm. I actually have another one. Could I hook two up.

12. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    Red Diamond make good stallies which don't cost a rediculous amount of money like some other companies. They're also Australian which is a bonus so you can have it built custom and delivered quite quickly. As for the stall point itself - if you have a dyno sheet with torque graphed on it you can go off that, otherwise you need to do some maths on the cam. Basically like immortality said you want the stall point at the business end of your torque curve, so when you accelerate hard it will snap past the lower rpm straight into your torque band.
    Don't worry about it driving differently with a stallie, it'll just slip under the stall point it's set at and drive quite normally - you'll only really notice it's there under harder acceleration.

13. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Stally should be here tomorrow. I ordered one from torque converter industries in Sydney. It's the one that's 500rpm over stock. Meant to be 200-2500stall depending on cam. Hopefully it will be in by the weekend. Anyone know if it possible to run a temp gauge on the tranny to see just how hot it is getting

14. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Any pointers in installing the converter. Should I feel it click in 3 times and that's it. Also it's very loose in the shaft. Has lots of play. Is that normal

15. padrickz88

padrickz88 Rick =]

Members Ride:
    VN V6, nothing special

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  16. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Thanks for the help guys, torque converter in and running. Car is of the rd again as the plugs fouled again due to rich fuel. Waiting on a tune and it should be right to go. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337689297.453822.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337689333.237062.jpg

17. vtmomentum

vtmomentum New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SII V6
    TCI at seven hills are great top product I have one and as long as you have standard lock up you can sit on the freeway at 1800rpm and you won't get any slip as others said you only notice it if you plant the gas.

18. vh5000i

vh5000i New Member

Members Ride:
    VH SLE 5.0i
    I have been considering one of these 500 over standard torque converters for my th400 from TCI (Sydney) also.

Wonder if you could do a bit of a review i.e. road test, actual stall increase etc.

19. sporty custom

sporty custom Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    exactly what show bags said above that is how they behave, ppl that say they rev and roar must have huge stalls well above 2500 -3000,mine has a 3000 in it will footbrake to 2000 mash it straight to about 2900.

20. Cava454

Cava454 Member

Members Ride:
    VR SS, VZ SS
    I wouldn't bother buying a converter any less the 3000. If its a lock up converter it will drive like a stocker when cruising.