Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Choosing the right torque converter

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Hi guys, did a quick search on JC and could not find to much info on torque converters. Basically my auto just s'*t it self so I need to replace it. I've been meaning to upgrade the torque converter so thought I might as well do it whilst the box is out. After doing a bit of reading I've found that if you upgrade your cam and leave the stock converter in your more likely to stall the engine when braking due to the higher rpm stall needed in the converter. Also you don't get as much low end torque from the engine as you could with a bigger stall converter. B&M had a generic table showing the cam angles and the rough RPM converter needed. Here is a link to my cam. It's a stage 2 series 1 vn http://www.crowcams.com.au/search.aspx?EG=607&MK=13&PC=0
basically mine has a 265-270 angle which according to B&M requires either a 2400 or 3000 RPM stall. http://bmracing.com/?page_id=50
My questions are, is there any other variables that come into play, dif ratios ect and if so how do I choose the right stall. And I was told that if you have a 3000RPM stall and cruise on the freeway under 3000RPM you could do damage to the box/converter. Is this true. Any input would be great.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Converter stall point should be based on your cams torque curve. You want the converter to stall when the engine is into the torque curve.

Best bet is to talk to a converter shop (or shops) and get some opinions.

In my opinion even a stock standard engine will go better with a converter that has a higher stall point then the standard converter.

Ideally the converter should be stalled when cruising in top gear, if it's slipping a lot then it will create a lot of heat. heat kills automatic transmissions.

If you had the engine dyno'd with the standard converter take that to the converter shop as it will show the torque curve which will help them recommend a converter to suit.

Cheers

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Hi guys anyone Know where to buy torque converters from. Called up a few performance places but they only deal with v8's not v6's

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
If you are NSW you could try Torque Converter Industries in Sydney, they also sell on ebay too

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Yeah Sydney region is what I'm after but I'm sure most places can post them

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
no worries, I paid $295 delivered for a fully rebuilt converter with the stall raised by 500rpm over stock from TCI

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
no worries, I paid $295 delivered for a fully rebuilt converter with the stall raised by 500rpm over stock from TCI

I spoke to them today. Was hoping to get some feedback on their converters before going ahead. Has it been ok for you. No dramas. I worry about a 2400 converter for mine as I don't want to be taking off from a stop with the revs at 2400rpm but from what they explained the revs will be very similar to stock. It's my daily driver so I don't want to chew fuel. Any feedback how it effects daily driving

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
My 2500 converter retains lock up and at light throttle its nice and tight so it behaves like a stock converter when your just cruising around. But mash the pedal and it'll flash stall to about 2700rpm and slingshot away. And an added bonus was my fuel consumption went down.

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
My 2500 converter retains lock up and at light throttle its nice and tight so it behaves like a stock converter when your just cruising around. But mash the pedal and it'll flash stall to about 2700rpm and slingshot away. And an added bonus was my fuel consumption went down.

Sounds about like what the converter place said. I just wanted to feedback from people running them. I will be ordering mine tomorrow. The second hand tranny only has 30 days warranty so I need to get it in ASAP and want the converter to go in the same time. No point delaying the inevitable.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
You'll need to run a large trans cooler as well. The factory one will be too small now.