Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Choosing window tint

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International MY10
if it's still full of swirls (probably will be)
are you saying it will come with swirls?

Will make silver look sharp!
I sure hope so!! :D
I'm a bit nervous about doing anything to the car, never had a new one before and so have always just washed in auto car wash (or one of those do it urself ones with the foaming brush and stuff)...dont wanna do anything to destroy the new one!!!

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
and i will go for black tint thanks everyone! :D
...i still working out if theres some reputable local blokes to do it as i really dont wanna ripples or bubbles! and if that means paying an extra hundred or so to holden to have it from word go without having to take it into the city or something to get windows done..hmmm. its prob worth it...but then again there is a LOT of diff between 240 and 495!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
are you saying it will come with swirls?

I sure hope so!! :D
I'm a bit nervous about doing anything to the car, never had a new one before and so have always just washed in auto car wash (or one of those do it urself ones with the foaming brush and stuff)...dont wanna do anything to destroy the new one!!!

ALL new cars come with swirls. It's unavoidable. They wrap them up a bit for transport, but they swirl up so easily. Then you get some muppet with an angle grinder buffing the cars pre-delivery. you won't see them (hopefully) when you pick the car up, because they use a wax that is full of fillers and hides the swirls. The fillers will wash out after two or 3 washes and it will be swirl city. Best thing you can do is spend a bit of cash on really good detailer (a lot of them will come to you) and get them to work on it the first time. Then it's just a matter of topping the wax up once a month - you only really need to strip everything back once a year, from my experience, unless you live up a kilometre dirt track.

PLEASE!!!!!!! don't use an autowash! They're never good! And the brushes are just as bad! A hand wash once a week using the 2 bucket method (google it) is best.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
and i will go for black tint thanks everyone! :D
...i still working out if theres some reputable local blokes to do it as i really dont wanna ripples or bubbles! and if that means paying an extra hundred or so to holden to have it from word go without having to take it into the city or something to get windows done..hmmm. its prob worth it...but then again there is a LOT of diff between 240 and 495!

Solartint did mine - I was happy with the result. (don't know how much it cost as it was a gift from the girlfriend). There's another thread on window tint where I put up a couple of pics if you want to check it out (although mine is ... ahem... 15% - but if it's good enough for Highway Patrol, it's good enough for me!)

VYHDT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HDT
mine 15% at 240 (my mistake before)... lifetime warranty too, so if it ends up stuffing up, just get it redone

more pics in rife thread.. but yeah.. hes a small business..

0cfdaacc.jpg

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I'd definitely go black regardless of legalities. Always looks better. Metalised tint too, for the record!

And definitely don't bother with paint protection. Absolute rip off!

When you get your car, either take it to a detailer (not carwash cafe), or, wash it, clay it, chemical cleanse it, then check it out - if it's still full of swirls (probably will be) you'll need to do some paint correction. Use a good polish (emphasis on good - not necessarily the most expensive though), then top with a few coats of sealant. Will make silver look sharp!

haha not a rip off if u get it for $995 ;)
it is a rip off if u pay the $2,250 though lol

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
haha not a rip off if u get it for $995 ;)

I had it done to an old car and found it to be absolutely no benefit. Haven't had it done since. But I do kinda like detailing my car - at least it's something to do whilst I can't freaking mod it!!!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I had it done to an old car and found it to be absolutely no benefit. Haven't had it done since. But I do kinda like detailing my car - at least it's something to do whilst I can't freaking mod it!!!

haha fair call

i think i just wanted it so if anything happens to my paint i can take it back and get it fixed. plus it makes washing it easy as. can't beat that for 1k

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha not a rip off if u get it for $995

so if the dealer quoted pait protection for 900 i should have taken it?

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
so if the dealer quoted pait protection for 900 i should have taken it?

$995 is the cost of the materials to do it. no labour. fleet cost. so they wont go lower.

thats for interior and exterior. so if u just want paint protection it will be half that.

i think it is definitely worth it, especially with the new stuff they use.

paint protection on my 2008 SV6 was ****