Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Choosing window tint

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
hey bought a new sidi sv6 in early august, got paint and fabric protection on mine for $1000 total, totally worth it. as for the window tint go black its always a classic used to have 5% on my silver vy looked excelent never got booked for it though thankfully ... will probably go the same this time ... i know tint a car and solar tint in nsw will tint a commodore in whatever % you like for about 250 to 300

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
just a point to make- hope I dont sound like a goody two shoes....

in considering 'darker than legal' tint, are you guys mainly worried about the boys in blue defecting you?

because my concern would be insurance worries in an accident- not a defect notice. lets say you pull out in front of someone (or are otherwise at fault in an accident). if it happens to be in the evening or on a day that is overcast and cloudy, an arguement could be made by the insurer that because the car isnt road worthy and your vision was obstructed because of tint too dark to see properly, we will limit (or even cancel) your insurance and make you pay for everything. they are a business afterall, and will look for any loophole to not pay you. will be very hard to fight them on it... its like driving around unregistered (because an unroadworthy car isnt satisfying registration requirements anyway) . just a thought, I'll go back in my box now.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8

in considering 'darker than legal' tint, are you guys mainly worried about the boys in blue defecting you?

because my concern would be insurance worries in an accident- not a defect notice. lets say you pull out in front of someone (or are otherwise at fault in an accident). if it happens to be in the evening or on a day that is overcast and cloudy, an arguement could be made by the insurer that because the car isnt road worthy and your vision was obstructed because of tint too dark to see properly, we will limit (or even cancel) your insurance and make you pay for everything. they are a business afterall, and will look for any loophole to not pay you. will be very hard to fight them on it... its like driving around unregistered (because an unroadworthy car isnt satisfying registration requirements anyway) . just a thought, I'll go back in my box now.

No this is a fair call UFO. Although i have never heard of any issues with insurance in regards to this i guess it is a possibility.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I got a 35% black tint from Solartint. I love it and it's legal.

I've had all my cars tinted, two of them solartint. Its been the best by far - markedly better than the tint the Holden dealer did on my VY.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

VERY good point. It is certainly something they could ping you on in the event of an at fault accident. As I mentioned earlier, my tint was a gift, personally I would have gone with 35% to keep it legal. Not making excuses though and I may change it at some point even though the 15% looks so sharp. Is the 15% a better look on the car? Yes. Is it more practical? Absolutely. It isn't worth the risk of having a claim disallowed... However unlikely it is that it would actually be checked. It isn't something you'd ever be pulled over for. 5% maybe though.

Last edited:

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
I had 5% tints for 18 months, pulled over many times and never once questioned about it.. i wouldn't be concerned about the legalities of tint darkness. Never personally heard of anyone being boosted for only tints.

Sean0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
own a wagon with 5% on rears and 18% on side looks tops never get questioned and have just had a insurance claim , never even came up

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International MY10
yeah i am a goodytwoshoes so i will most definitely be sticking to the 35%. went into local tintacar today, really nice and even tho the price isnt quite as good as a few ppl have said (they will do 330 for midnight express or 380 for formula one) it is still FAR better than holdens price of 495. the guy also offered the sirius paint protection incl leather and alloy protection but i dont know if its worth getting...it'll be 990 for interior and exterior protection incl windows tinting. so...shoudl i get this extra stuff or jsut do the tints? Also, has anyone got either midnight express or formula one adn know any worthwhile difference? there is one other tint joint in town so i'll also call them for a quote. im pretty sure all the local dealers use tintacar.

Nomz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International MY10
(even though i would LOVE a darker tint!!! would look SOOO good in contrast to the silver car)