Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chrome internal trim - glare prevention

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
Generally I like the VF interior BUT the chrome trim around the gear selector and on either side of the air controls is really annoying on a sunny day. I would like to mask it somehow but don't know how.

Any ideas? How much would it cost me for a panel shop to remove and refit those trim pieces?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
A panel shop for interior trim? :hmmm:

You can easily pull it off yourself. Have you thought about vinyl wrapping it with something less shiny?

Last edited:

Rhino6L

Reaction score
I'd go further than annoying, it can be dangerous if you forgot your sunnies! I pulled up at a set of lights on a fairly dull day and the whole console lit up and blinded my passenger and I when the sun came out from behind the clouds.

I'm not looking to change mine, but I am very mindful of it now!

Does the Evoke have painted silver trim instead of chrome? Maybe you could swap some parts with someone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
It should be linished more to stop that and so it matches the gear knob.

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
A panel shop for interior trim? :hmmm:

You can easily pull it off yourself. Have you thought about vinyl wrapping it with something less shiny?

Not sure I feel comfortable pulling the trim hence the asking about a panel shop. I have heard of liquid vinyl treatments which sound good but don't want to wreck my interior.
Might have a chat to service dept at 15k service.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
the silver trim on the sides of the shifter lift directly out from their position. Use a thin plastic trim removal tool to pop the clips out - I think there's three or four from memory. Takes all of 30 seconds to do. I haven't removed the vent surrounds but they look like they will lever straight out as well.

I would just wrap them with a metal effect vinyl. Like a brushed steel or similar.

colcha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I would just wrap them with a metal effect vinyl. Like a brushed steel or similar.

Has anyone gone ahead and wrapped the interior chrome trim with vinyl or similar? I am thinking of doing this and am interested in hearing other owners' experiences.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
None in VF's that I've seen but plenty have done various bits of trim in VE's have a look in the VE showroom section, plenty have people have done it as its quite easy.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Bit of heat and a lot of patience is all you need for a small job like that.

Other option would be to pick up the matching trim pieces from an SV6 or SS that are in the faux-carbon and just swap them out. Holden parts would be your friend there. Can't see them costing a fortune and will match nicely.

colcha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Other option would be to pick up the matching trim pieces from an SV6 or SS that are in the faux-carbon and just swap them out. Holden parts would be your friend there. Can't see them costing a fortune and will match nicely.

I have spoken with Provinyl in Sydney and they are not prepared to wrap the chrome trim as they are concerned about the risk of breakage when they remove the trim pieces. They have checked with Holden and some of the chrome trim pieces (eg. the trim around the air conditioning vents in the centre console) cost around $500. This figure is in the same ball park as that quoted to me by my dealership. Not sure that I want to pay that much for a few bits of plastic.

Any other suggestions?