Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chrome Rocker Covers for a V6

R

rattattack1313

um...

um.. hey...I totally agree and accept what you say about the actual chroming process, I worked out ages ago that you obviously knew more than I about doing it......but I think you missed the point....... I'm talking about after the plate or whatever has been chromed, for example, a diff plate, then when the diff gets hot, the diff housing rises to whatever temp, and expands accordingly. The chromed plate, being a different quality, when heated, expands at a different rate..... so, between bolt holes, it warps....

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Sorry

I dont see it .... And diff covers are nasty at best , just like oil pans , trans covers etc ... Take them off and they will never go back just right ...

My VB had that problem with the oil pan ,,, leaked and leaked , I tried and tried , but it just leaked , so I gave up and let it leak ...

The diff cover on my VL was the same , checked the diff , NO OIL , so I re-oiled it , clossed the diff cover , "leaked" , from mem I turned it and tried every combination , but it just leaked .. And that was one CHEAP / NASTY diff cover holden put on ... Me thinks , poorly made , cheap nasty products , from Holden - Ford or what ever might be the problem , not the chrome ...

Thats why , when the drag car was being built by my friend Paul , he asked me what diff to put in , 9 inch ford or holden , I said light truck , 10inch to be spot on , cut it down , put the right gears into it , disc conversion , and blue print it ... Took over 6 months to build the diff due to shop time [ after work for free - well beer ] and getting parts from the USA and fitting it all up correctly , too much back lash and you would shred the gears , to tight and it would explode .... :yeah: I dont remember his name , but the shop owner was a whizz with diffs , ply him with beer and he would help as long as there was beer to drink ... :drink:

I dont remember the brand of the diff , but a lot of the yanks were using them , a seriously strong unit , perhaps a little heavy for a street car , but for taking brute power , yeah baby ....

Sorry chrome , yeah , to make the car look trick , the diff was chromed , diff cover etc .... But that diff cover was not made from a light sheet of steel and pressed into shape , like most are today ...

Cheap n Nasty is just that , PLZ dont blame the chrome , its not its fault ..
Im just sooo glad nothing on my 184,000K VS leaks yet ....
My boss has a Statesman 308 from 1977 ... Everything leaks ...

The diff leaks , the transs leaks , the engine leaks , his radiator leaks ...
He parks his car in a clean spot , next day it looks like its had some one parking there for like 5 years or more ....

Thank goodness they dont make them like that anymore ...

R

rattattack1313

lol...

"The diff leaks , the transs leaks , the engine leaks , his radiator leaks ...
He parks his car in a clean spot , next day it looks like its had some one parking there for like 5 years or more ...." :rofl: poor bugger.......lol.... put a tray under his car...think of all th eoil you'd get for nothing...just pour it back into his car...lol....I'm talking genuine F@#d parts and Holden parts that warp , under heat, when they have been chromed.....

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Yep thats right

Cheap nasty , genuine Parts ,,, Dont forget , there made by the cheapest bidder , and that bidder is going to make them as cheaply as they can ....

1. If you use the orriginal part from a 10 - 20 year old car , that part is going to be suffering from metal fatigue , its going to be bent , warped , and everything else under the sun .... No wonder its leaking ....

2. I would buy a new part from Holden [ in this case ] , I would make sure the mating face of the cover was flat before leaving the parts store , simple , press it up to the window , and look at it from the other side , is it sitting evenly against the glass all the way round , if not , ask for one thats not pre Fked from new ...

Once you find a flat one [ Kid you not ] either put it on a disc or belt sander to clean the face nice and even all the way round ... keeping it evenly flat .

3. You now know its flat , and unwarped , go to a GOOD chromer , get it chromed , might take up to 12 hours if done correctly ..

4. Its been chromed correctly ? then it should still be straight , get a new gasket and put it in place ....

Now , pressed parts are stressed real bad from being forced into shape , and there fore it would not take much to make them warp , stress releaving the cover might also be a good idea , if your going to invest money in it ...

Go to a engineering place where they surface harden stuff and ask them to stress releave the cover for you ... Yellow pages .... Be warned , stress releaving may warp the cover as well .. "Pressed parts suck"

7, There are so many reasons that the cover may warp , I cant cover them all , but its not the fault of the chrome , but rather a combination of factors ..

Matt :bang:

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
yeah sorry for havin a go at ya befor dude but yeah when i think about it they managed to do my diff plate and rocker covers all in under 9 hrs !!!!! so yeah i think they where a little dodgey on me old 308 HX kingy