Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clapped out rack

S

STEVN

I would like to know if any1 has a holden VN workshop manual ,what i need is how to rebuild my steering rack any help would be appreciated

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
If your rack needs rebuilding you would be better off buying an exchange unit and just fitting it yourself .
You can use any of the repair manuals for that (Max Ellery, Gegory's or Genuine Holden Manuals).

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
A complete reconditioned rack should be around the $200 mark (plenty on eBay) and they're very easy to fit. I didn't have a manual handy when I changed mine and didn't really come across many problems.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
i done mine on my VT last week for $500 parts and labour, its a bitch of a job tho so i got my mate to do it as he owns a mechanic workshop :)

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
I would like to know if any1 has a holden VN workshop manual ,what i need is how to rebuild my steering rack any help would be appreciated

why? whats wrong with it??

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
VL ~ VS racks would have to be almost the easiest Rack and Pinion steering gears to change on 6cyl cars. The exhaust can be a pain on V8's. Simplest is an exchange unit as you can sometimes run into strife with damaged seals without the proper seal protectors.