Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clarification regarding SS and SV6 exhaust

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
Between the VF SV6 S2 and the VF SS exhaust, the only difference from the cats back, is the rear exhaust mufflers, correct?

In this instance, both vehicles are utes. No bimodal on this SS.

Thus there is no "gain" bar the rear end aesthetics.

TIA

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If the SS exhaust is S1, there will be different mufflers between auto's and manuals...

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I have a Series 2 SV6 (Sedan), in which I have put on a set of Series 1 SS (Sedan) Mufflers. No bimodal, simply a Y outlet from the muffler. From what I researched this was one of the best setups for an SV6 that doesn't drone. For the $50 it cost me for the mufflers from Marketplace, Im very happy with em.

Much prefer the twin pipe look, and gives a bit nicer exhaust tone outside and in cabin. Could argue there is a slight (only slight) increase in drone at low RPM, but when I drive the old mans stock SV6 the drone is almost identical in stock form. Never was a fan of aftermarket Exhaust setups for the SV6 as nothing ive heard sounds great (personal opinion)

Shame Holden never invested more in making the LFX engines sound better in the SV6 given its sports focus (could understand keeping it quiet in Calais form), from searching through some videos of Camaros in the US fitted with either stock exhaust or certain aftermarket version it does sound much nicer. Budget restraints and not wanting to eat into V8 sales I guess....

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
There seems to be a number of folk selling SS exhausts online that believe them to be model specific to the SS thus believe they're worth significantly more. Also, it doesn't help that I am in NZ and there isn't the same number of write-offs out there.

I have been under a hoist to check the condition underneath and the exhaust looks identical bar the rear mufflers. The flange style rear muffler (3" single tip) is what is fitted on my sept 16 SV6.

Is there a place is AU or NZ someone here is aware of that has some for a ute and will ship?

mFLPMWY.jpg

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
There seems to be a number of folk selling SS exhausts online that believe them to be model specific to the SS thus believe they're worth significantly more. Also, it doesn't help that I am in NZ and there isn't the same number of write-offs out there.

I have been under a hoist to check the condition underneath and the exhaust looks identical bar the rear mufflers. The flange style rear muffler (3" single tip) is what is fitted on my sept 16 SV6.

Is there a place is AU or NZ someone here is aware of that has some for a ute and will ship?

mFLPMWY.jpg
Hi , you could ask Dean at Salvage Autos , he ships some of his wrecks and stuff to NZ , heres his Facebook page . https://www.facebook.com/groups/347903375387584

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All the components bolt on across all models. It’s a modular and cost effect approach to assembling the cars. All mounting and flange locations are the same.
Yes the mufflers can be different, but they still bolt on.

The main differences will be dual tips off single outlet, Dual tips off dual outlets.

I put dual outlet VFSS mufflers on our S1VE V6 Calais. It nailed it. Just the right note, not too loud by any means.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Utes are going to need to be specific because the rear muffler section will have longer outlet piping.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Having a little overhang on a Ute looks good or at least in my opinion it does.

I deliberately had the tips on my Ute positioned so they'd sit further outside the rear bar than stock, just don't go to far.

It's a bit of an old school look.

IMG_2238b 1300x.jpg