Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clarification regarding SS and SV6 exhaust

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
What's drone?

Google Answer

Exhaust Drone is the vibrating sound that occurs in vehicles most often at steady highway speeds and is caused by the engine and exhaust system vibrating at incompatible frequencies. Changes range from adding mufflers or sound dampeners to more involved changes including exhaust system

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Google Answer

Exhaust Drone is the vibrating sound that occurs in vehicles most often at steady highway speeds and is caused by the engine and exhaust system vibrating at incompatible frequencies. Changes range from adding mufflers or sound dampeners to more involved changes including exhaust system
Doesn't happen on utes...

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What's drone?
Constantly hearing the exhaust note in the car and drone are two different things. Drone is a resonance at certain RPM and engine load that drums through your head I guess is a reasonable analogy. An exhaust can be loud and drown out the radio, but it doesn't drone. Likewise, a fairly quite exhaust on the outside, can drone badly in the car and give you a headache over a long duration.
Doesn't happen on utes...
No, Utes don't tend to drone at all even with a mega loud exhaust system. I think wagons are the worst for drone in VE/VF aren't they?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wagons run the same exhaust as sedans don’t they? It being impossible to tell the two apart from underneath?
I guess more noise could get in from the “boot floor” due to there not being a closed-off space, but the resonance would still be the same.

I guess Deity Of Choice never intended the LS series engine with it’s head-design to run on only half the cylinders …

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Wagons run the same exhaust as sedans don’t they? It being impossible to tell the two apart from underneath?
I guess more noise could get in from the “boot floor” due to there not being a closed-off space, but the resonance would still be the same.

I guess Deity Of Choice never intended the LS series engine with it’s head-design to run on only half the cylinders …
Yes, the exhaust acoustics are the same but the potential to drone is how the acoustics react in a particular body type. I can generally tell if someone is in the dunny talking to me on the phone, not from aquatic noises, but a different resonance than if they're in a furnished room.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yes, the exhaust acoustics are the same but the potential to drone is how the acoustics react in a particular body type. I can generally tell if someone is in the dunny talking to me on the phone, not from aquatic noises, but a different resonance than if they're in a furnished room.
Wagons are just a bigger 'resonant box' version of a sedan. I've experienced drone in a VL wagon.
I think the plastic tub in a ute helps to alleviate the drone by dampening the steel structural surfaces.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Wagons are just a bigger 'resonant box' version of a sedan. I've experienced drone in a VL wagon.
I think the plastic tub in a ute helps to alleviate the drone by dampening the steel structural surfaces.
Mentioning VL wagons, I did a Lukey 2.5" bolt on years ago with the same muffler configuration that didn't drone in a sedan, but the wagon droned quite badly. I think it had a 5" round 12" long resonator at the rear and I changed it to a 16" long 6" round Lukey universal straight through muffler and that fixed the droning. I remember it was the first complaint I'd ever had with a Lukey bolt on in the day, were the best sports exhaust systems you could buy.