Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clarification regarding SS and SV6 exhaust

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The AFM was part of the L77, not the LS3, from what I have garnered here at JC.
Correct; however, the manual L77 VF's were 270kW and had the cylinder-deactivation disabled; the auto L77 VF's were 260kW and had the system enabled. Hence the manual wouldn't have the 4cyl-drone problem that the auto had.

So if I Google an L77 VF OEM exhaust, one of the photos I find is the one below (well OK it's VE S2 but people have said they're the same); note how, compared to yours, the single outlet from each muffler tuning-forks into two tips. Hence I think the one you've photographed is probably manual, and the one below is auto. At least based on info in this thread ...

92207839.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
L77 auto doesn't drone, you can't even hear it with stock exhaust!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
L77 auto doesn't drone, you can't even hear it with stock exhaust!
That's my point, Holden had to fix that; I suspect it's the cause of the 10kW power deficit, and probably why those exhaust tips look less efficient.
Never really had the chance to listen to a manual driving down the street, to see if it's any better.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
That's my point, Holden had to fix that; I suspect it's the cause of the 10kW power deficit, and probably why those exhaust tips look less efficient.
Never really had the chance to listen to a manual driving down the street, to see if it's any better.

can't hear anything, stock SS exhaust is crap.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Having a little overhang on a Ute looks good or at least in my opinion it does.

I deliberately had the tips on my Ute positioned so they'd sit further outside the rear bar than stock, just don't go to far.

It's a bit of an old school look.

View attachment 224389

Too bad about the Chev badges. :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
why would you want the SS exhaust? it's garbage, mine went in a skip the week i bought my car.
I did because we have a V6 and the addition of some VF SS mufflers with dual outlets each side made the car feel just that bit better and sound just right. They cost $100 and that was excellent value.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No matter how many model specific examples are posted, they still mount in the same spot. Use the same gaskets and even Bimodal examples can be retro fitted. They still fit other models. It’s easy to mix and match. Even if someone has a single exhaust, you can add factory exhaust components to get dual exhaust (mods to bumpers etc not considered) for a small sum compared to skyrocketing exhaust prices out there.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Too bad about the Chev badges. :rolleyes:

Yeah mate I was the laughing stock of the neighbourhood and embarrassed to own the car.

I couldn’t keep track of the number of people who would tell me how awful that Ute looked.

Eventually I replaced them with a set of Aston Martin badges and after that the comments I received about the exceptional build quality were very encouraging.

"eyes unrolled"

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Aston Martin made a ute which looked enough like a Commodore that we thought you'd put Chev badges on a Commodore?!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Having a little overhang on a Ute looks good or at least in my opinion it does.

I deliberately had the tips on my Ute positioned so they'd sit further outside the rear bar than stock, just don't go to far.

It's a bit of an old school look.

Looks about "2 fingers" past the bumper, the old school yard stick for exhaust tips! I don't think the VF2 SSVR ute tips stick out far enough and need extending a bit. They also hang a bit low I think, too much gap between the top of the tip and the underside of the bumper.