Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Classic Cars

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I often wonder what to do with my VX SS, I bought it brand new back in 2001 so it is 16 years old, it has only done 91,000km and still pretty close to new condition, I have all the original paper work from when I purchased it etc. I would like a new VFII SS but realise the trade in would be bugger all. Car is stock standard same as the day I took delivery.
Have often thought of leaving it to one of the grand kids, parking it up as future barn find for one particular grand kid.
RIMG0273AAAR.jpg
SS at Rocky's.jpg
Z version.jpg

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
When I see what classic Holden's fetch these days, I weep. How's this for a list?

FB Special Sedan
HD Premier
EH Special
HR Premier
HG 253 GTS Monaro with Saginaw 4 speed.
HT Premier. Originally 307 Powerglide uprated to 327 and Saginaw four speed
HZ 253 Premier
HT 350 GTS with Turbo 350 auto (4 year restoration during late 80's.)

If only I had a couple of those still parked in my garage.......
I had an HR with a saginaw 4 speed ,the weight of that box lowered the car about an inch was much better than the opel 4 speed it came out with. Ended up putting all the running gear into an FJ .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I often wonder what to do with my VX SS, I bought it brand new back in 2001 so it is 16 years old, it has only done 91,000km and still pretty close to new condition, I have all the original paper work from when I purchased it etc. I would like a new VFII SS but realise the trade in would be bugger all. Car is stock standard same as the day I took delivery.
Have often thought of leaving it to one of the grand kids, parking it up as future barn find for one particular grand kid. View attachment 193560 View attachment 193561 View attachment 193562

Drewie. That is one beautiful VX in the best colour they were available in. If I was in your position and regretting as I do not having kept some of my past cars, I would be hanging onto it as long as possible.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I know the situation. Low Ks, tick ...... not modified, tick ..... trade-in, you are right (nobody wants a V8 these days, Sir.) ..... VF11, (get one now Sir, everybody will want the last of the V8s), it will be a classic 16 years after your VX. Grand kids, two of mine couldn't give a stuff, the youngest "Pop, when you die, can I have the Monaro?" .......................
I went to a British Classic Car Club display on the week-end, and even though I knew personally just about every car there was considered a POS back in their day, now they just look great, and I would not knock back ownership of any of them.
Keep it, put a bowls hat on the back shelf, and drive it proudly in the Woolies carpark, and show the techophile new car owners what a real car used to be.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Figjam. I know what you mean about unwanted old dungers becoming today's desirable classics. Lots of forgettable English cars from the 50's come to mind. Not Morrie Minors but some Hillman's and other BMC stuff like Majors, Elites and Wolseleys.

I have my dream car from that list I put in my earlier post and it will probably surprise people. It's the HD Premier because of what it was to me at that particular time on my life. The HD was never a popular classic and that's one other reason I'd give my arm to have one. I could restore another car as I have the time, the garage, the knowledge and the skill. I just don't have the brass.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
PS to above ….. on the way home from the car display, grandson and I stopped at local Woollies and I parked next to an Absinth Yellow HQ GTS. Told him that it was an old Monaro, and that I had a brown one the same and that I had sold it about 8 years ago. He was astonished, dumbfounded and unbelieving that I should have done such a heinous deed.

Calaber wrote .. but some Hillman's and other BMC stuff like Majors, Elites and Wolseleys.
Yep. that was the sort of stuff that was at Raymond Terrace, along with more upmarket toffee-nosed models.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've got two HR's does that count as classic anymore?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I've got two HR's does that count as classic anymore?
Yep a guy round the corner from me has one in his front yard but needs heaps of work to restore it i.e has tail light and front indicators but all lenses are smashed etc

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Absolutely. I'd love to have one of them in my garage if I couldn't find that HD.

had an HD as my first car, ehhhh no thanks.