Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clean vx calais garnish

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
Hi guys,

Has anyone cleaned the inside of the vx calais garnish? I recently bought one and noticed the inside of the lenses look dirty.. I had a look and undid as much clips as i could see but couldnt get it off and didnt want to break it... Can someone shed some light on this? might be a good tut to write up aswell.

Matt.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd imagine there are seals like headlamps, if they are dirty inside it's probably got a leak in it.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
I'd imagine there are seals like headlamps, if they are dirty inside it's probably got a leak in it.
When I had a look all the seals looked fine.. I even tipped water over it to see if I can see where its getting in from. Nothing seems like its getting in.. it doesnt look like water.. it looks like dust.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
MattaY[s2];2465537 said:
When I had a look all the seals looked fine.. I even tipped water over it to see if I can see where its getting in from. Nothing seems like its getting in.. it doesnt look like water.. it looks like dust.
you'd need to submerge it to find out if there are leaks rather than just tipping water over.

My VX II Clubsport garnish has the sliiiiightest leak in the passenger side reversing lamp and occasionally you get a tiny tiny bit of condensation but I can wash the car with a hose and not notice anything.

Do you have a clear photo of the dust?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
MattaY[s2];2465547 said:
I'll upload some when i get a lunch break. at work atm. but yeah it doesnt look like water and from what i saw.
that's not what I meant, but dust and moisture can both enter very small leaks the same.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2000 Magna
It's definitely leaking somewhere to have that dust and moisture in there. Have you checked your boot rubbers and globe fittings? Is it always moist inside or only after rain? I agree with mpower, submerge it and look for bubbles, good luck :)