Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clean your MAF

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think we need to make a distinction here. the VS MAF has the ability to measure upto double the airflow requirements of a standard V6 engine (i.e. measure the volume of air required). anything that has a smaller internal diameter (and a large chunk of alloy in the center to boot) then the main(or majority) of the intake will cause a restriction in flow. (i.e. it will impede the optimum flow ability of the entire intake tract), however thats a completely different argument for another thread. the down side is that the tune would have taken all that into account. the only reason i can see for the large alloy center piece in the MAF is to create a venturi effect (much like a carburator) to increase airspeed across the wires. however later model MAFs certainly don't have this?

when i removed the mesh from my MAF i did monitor fuel usage and didn't see any marked increase in consumption at that time.

i think my problems arose (with the MAf) lat time i cleaned the K&N filter. i was in a hurry and probably over oiled it

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
frase, I cleaned my MAF on the weekend, and to get the mesh out, I tapped on it with a length of wooden dowel, about one centimetre thick. Just keep gently tapping around the edge, being very careful not to damage the sensor wires. One part on mine came up easily, but it was stuck on the opposite side. I pushed the loose side up enough to get my fingers on it, and worked it out from there. I was surprised how thick it is, about five or six millimetres, I thought when I got it out it would be a thin screen.
You really need to get this mesh out to clean the sensors, mine were very black on the air filter side, but hardly dirty on the other side. I cleaned my throttle body at the same time.
It made a difference to how my car runs. Accelerates better, and I think the gear changes are smoother. It starts easier too, when warm. I don’t notice any difference on a cold start though.
Hope this helps.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Can anyone please tell me where this sensor is located on a V8

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
this sensor is located on a V6 ecotec and LS1 V8's only, the 5L V8 doesnt run a MAF. :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip VT 5.0 has MAF

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thankyou for the correction, everyday learn something new.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yip VT 5.0 has MAF

yep, also got the roller cam, sequencial injection. best engine that holden ever put out bar the Grp A engines:D it's a shame the VT was such a heavy car. i guess that may also include the VS sIII as well

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
wow 10kw just for cleaning the MAF, thats crazy!!

I've just finished cleaning mine, mg it gets dark quick, started removing the mesh, but couldnt get it all out without stuffing round with it longer, so i cleaned it with it in there. just filled up today so i'll see how i go in the next couple of weeks :thumbsup:

nice find immortality!