Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clean your MAF

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
nah mate, give credit to steve. i read it in a thread somewhere where MACE had replied. i was just amazed at the difference so decided a thread dedicated to the MAF subject would get the info out there better. as of now, i'm planing to do it every time i do a oil/filter change. should ensure peak performance me thinks

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
nah mate, give credit to steve. i read it in a thread somewhere where MACE had replied. i was just amazed at the difference so decided a thread dedicated to the MAF subject would get the info out there better. as of now, i'm planing to do it every time i do a oil/filter change. should ensure peak performance me thinks

Thankyou to Steve for the initial write up, but Immortality, if it wasnt for you, i dont think i would have found this any time soon, so take some of the credit :thumbsup:

yeap i'll also put this on the list at service time

frase

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec Wagon V6 Manual
thanks for the tip chappo

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Just went to do myn then for the first time and to my amazement there was not a single bit of black on any of the wires OR surface inside the MAF.

Kinda a disappointment, was looking forward to some free kW's :)

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Darkrampage, did you remove the mesh screen? When I did mine, it looked fairly clean, until I got the screen out, it was black as under there.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I’ve pinched a picture from the painting engine cover thread. I have drawn a green circle around the MAF. First time I ahve attached an image.....hope it works.
Cheers.

Hey that looks familar

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Darkrampage, did you remove the mesh screen? When I did mine, it looked fairly clean, until I got the screen out, it was black as under there.

You can just spray cleaner through the mesh. Much less chance of breaking something that way.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Oh no I didn't, I will do that instead. Need to get some MAF cleaner anyway.

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Something I should point out, if you are going to remove the mesh, there is a circlip that needs removing first. But as Danja says, you can spray through the mesh. I didn't have any spray, so I took the mesh out to give the sensors a clean.

MACE

Reaction score
You can just spray cleaner through the mesh. Much less chance of breaking something that way.

You sure can :) No need to touch the mesh at all as the right cleaner does all the work.

I must stress that even on stock cars that have done a few k's the elements in the MAF can have can be dirty. This is what we usually find on the MAF's we get in for porting.