Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clean your MAF

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if your car has a MAF sensor, clean it. it takes 15 minutes and the difference can be like black and white. this is especially true if you run any sort of aftermarket oiled filter.

to cut a long story short, the missus car was slowly getting more sluggish, throttle response was getting worse, fuel economy was dropping like a brick (not really but it sounded good :p ) this was all accumulative over a long period of time so wasn't noticed.

when i removed the MAF sensor one of the 3 Hot wires was black with crap, the 2nd was approx 70% covered and the 3rd maybe 20%. there is proper MAF cleaner that can be purchased from your local automotive outlet. otherwise use electrical contact cleaner. me, i didn't have either so i used some carb cleaner, then i blew it out with LOW pressure air to ensure all the solvent had completly dried off.

first start was quicker, don't know if this was related to that problem, as soon as i gave it some gas it moved, shock horror:D pulled out of the street (rolling)i gave it a little gas and she kicked down a gear and went. previously this would have required a fair amount of throttle to achieve the same thing. long term fuel usage sat at 13.6ltrs/100km on the trip computer. i have reset so we will see what happens there

happy cleaning:thumbsup:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nice now just to get that new brake booster in your car now aye.its allways good when you find a simple fix.as far as im aware the frequency MAFS arnt actually hot wire like the old vl'sL they have a chip in there that senses the air draging over the wires when they get covered in crud they get thicker and stickier meaning they get pulled on harder by the air flowing past them pulling harder on the chip.but all in all allways good to clean them.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you are meaning on youre VR there isnt one on VR .VS upwards

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
after having a chat with Steve for MACE, apparently this is also a problem on cars with standard airfilters. definitly worthchecking.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
someone should tell CXCXCX....... he is having fuel consumption issues.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
its located on your intake piping from the airbox to the throttle body......

might have a look at my mums on her vt, her economy isn't great...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
any pics of this item and where it is located on a VS please???

it's fitted in the intake pipe, just after the filter box. gotta undo 2 hose clamps and remove 1 plug at the bottom.

when cleaning be very carefull. the wires are very thin and you'll be ****ed if you brake one.

from now on, i'll be cleaning mine when i do the oil change. should ensure no further problems in that area