Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaned my idle air control, now there is a buzz when i turn the ignition on???

welchy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT
Hey, i cleaned out my throttle body (while attatched) with carbi cleaner and paper towel, it was really black, and also pulled off my IAC and cleaned the hell out of that too.. I only let it dry for a few minutes and then put it back on.. Then went to start my engine, turned on the ignition and it makes a buzzing/zapping sound for about 2 seconds. When i turn it and start the car, it's find, idles great, much better than before.. I warmed it up for a long while and then turned it off, and the buzzing sound went again! The sound seems to come from 2 places at the same time, i think that one part of the sound came from under my alternator..

This being said, recently when i was driving a 2 hour drive on the freeway, at one point my battery/electric light came on.. It didn't make an alarm noise.. But just came on.. I slowed down on the side of the road because when a light comes on i kinda go "****...", but after sitting on the side of the road for 20 seconds with the car still on, the light went away. It came back on for about a minute alter but i kept driving because i had to get home.

Any ideas? Are these related? Does anybody know what the problem is? :S

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
the buzzing sound it the IAC valve stepping in and out. does a self check when you key to ignition, and returns when the car is keyed off. nothing wrong there

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Might be time to check if the alternator is charging.

welchy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT
Okay, my concern is that i had never heard that sound before until after i had cleaned it.. Is that strange?

Would i have to take that to an auto electrician to see if my alternator is charging?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
oh yea, should have given my imput on that too....

Had my battery light pop up recently. stayed on longer and longer over 2 weeks.

I just changed the brush thingo that screws into the back of it

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
you could do it yourself with a multimeter and a gregorys......

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, my concern is that i had never heard that sound before until after i had cleaned it.. Is that strange?

Would i have to take that to an auto electrician to see if my alternator is charging?

if its idling fine, then theres nothing to worry bout.

You tend not to notice sounds til you are searching for one. Changed a part, therefore you concentrate more on that particular thing cause you're expecting it to do something different, cause you touched it.

makes sense???? hehe

welchy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT
haha yeah good point, and it's not often that i turn the ignition on and listen for sounds before starting my engine haha. thanks for clearing that one up :)

what is the brush thingo on the back? haha is that just where the cable links onto it or??

cheers

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
i forget the techical name. volt regulator maybe? its where the the plug clips into. two philips heads bolts and it pops out. when they wear out the alt will charge the battery intermitantly

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
i forget the techical name. volt regulator maybe? its where the the plug clips into. two philips heads bolts and it pops out. when they wear out the alt will charge the battery intermitantly
Close, voltage regulator.