Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning and protecting leather interior

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I've recently got a SS-V and the seats are pretty grubby, can anyone recommend products to use to clean and protect them?

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
I use leathertex. Not cheap but works a treat and very easy to use.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
melts plastic, which is what holden leather seats are made out of:
01.jpg

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
When I first got mine I used meguiars cloth & trim cleaner to clean them, followed by meguiars gold class cleaner & conditioner. It works very well and made a huge difference, but it's a bit of a pain in the arse because of the perforated leather, and gets stuck in the stitching as well. Also have used Sonax leather care foam which was pretty good and much easier for the perforated bits. Neither of these seem to last very long though, probably because they're both 'two-part' products (clean & condition). I'm looking at trying the lexol cleaner and conditioner (two separate products) next because it's a pump/spray rather than a cream.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
When I first got mine I used meguiars cloth & trim cleaner to clean them, followed by meguiars gold class cleaner & conditioner. It works very well and made a huge difference, but it's a bit of a pain in the arse because of the perforated leather, and gets stuck in the stitching as well. Also have used Sonax leather care foam which was pretty good and much easier for the perforated bits. Neither of these seem to last very long though, probably because they're both 'two-part' products (clean & condition). I'm looking at trying the lexol cleaner and conditioner (two separate products) next because it's a pump/spray rather than a cream.

give this kit a go, the brush will help with the perforated leather

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/duragloss/professional_leather_system

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Holden leather is pressed and urethane coated - little, if any need to condition them - just keep them clean.

All you really need is a gentle all purpose cleaner, a soft brush and some microfibre towels for regular maintenance.

HD-Total Degreaser & Soil Remover

Mix that at 10:1 with water and you can use it to clean any interior surface - even a spot cleaner for carpet and upholstery - only thing I don't use it for inside a car is microsuede/alcantara and glass (there are better options for both). Spray it on, work over it gently with the brush, use a damp microfibre to remove and a dry one to wipe dry.

You can use a leather cleaner like the duragloss one, or whichever - while it's good, it's not required on this type of leather. Conditioning will leave a film over the leather coating (which won't allow it to sink in) which will attract grit and dust that can work to abrade the urethane coating as you move around in the seat. Maintaining that coating is the goal with modern leathers. You can use a leather sealant or coating to help protect the urethane, but conditioners are generally counter-productive on this surface.

The added benefit of Total is that you can mix it stronger (5:1) and use it to clean your engine bay, tyres, wheel arches, exterior plastics - it's great for melting bugs off the front of your car - it's a very versatile product, very safe if you use it properly and doesn't leave a sticky residue like most APCs, so is fine to use on most any surface.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
Eagle One the way to go.They have the complete range for inside and out. Supercheap use to have Eagle One ,but Autobarn and Sprint .

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I tried Maguiars leather cleaner and conditioner and think they're both rubbish. Then tried Bowdens Leather Conditioner which was good.

I'm not sure of the exact product names, but the Opticare Coat all purpose cleaner (diluted per instructions) and the Opticare Fabric Cleaner and Protectant / leather conditioner are simply fantastic. A little more expensive than most, but pure magic. both ok for the microsuede / alcantara in the VF's too from my experience.

h t t p://optimumcarcare.com.au/

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
on the g8board i read that the the cows that supplied the leather in our cars must have been fed a diet high in polystyrene !

my seats used to feel alot like that could be true.

a couple of years ago i found Duragloss leather conditioner and it has softened the leather quite well, plus it makes the car interior smell like real Leather!
mmmm nice... if you like dat sorta ting lol