Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning discs, calipers, etc.

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
hey guys, i bought a set of second hand hsv brakes, theyre pretty grubby,
so i was thinking of cleaning them up so they look mint as before i fit them.
does anyone know if i can just get a rag with some detergent, or degreaser and just scrub them?
(the discs, i mean, not the calipers)
how safe are they to wet with a rag etc?

and ive got a vx ss,
is th fitting of these very difficult?
would i be able to do it?fairly noob.
bleeding the brakes is somethin id get some help with tho.
cheers guys

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Just spend a few bucks at superheap and get some brake cleaner.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
brake cleaner dries without any residue or affect on fluid etc, so safe to use around brakes, but its got a smell of its own, thats for sure.........

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If you don't know how to clean brakes I suggest you get a pro to fit them. Not that hard to fit them but there's a few crucial little bits that can go wrong. I'd be getting new caliper mounting bolts to use as well.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
as other have said brake cleaner will b ur best friend it also gets rid of any greese or oil on them so if ur wanting 2 paint any of them its ideal.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If you don't know how to clean brakes I suggest you get a pro to fit them. Not that hard to fit them but there's a few crucial little bits that can go wrong. I'd be getting new caliper mounting bolts to use as well.

Yeah, most manuals state to change them, but i have asked around, including a main brakes sponsor no here, and few fitters, and none of them change the bolts........but i know they are torque bolts.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001

Yeah, most manuals state to change them, but i have asked around, including a main brakes sponsor no here, and few fitters, and none of them change the bolts........but i know they are torque bolts. Probably best thing you can do when fitting pads etc is to get some Sil lube or the green synthetic grease sachets at supercheap for brakes and lube the slider pins, pistons and back of the brake pads (all of them). This is one of the best things you can do for smooth operation and reducing squealing etc.